Need help picking out a cooling setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help picking out a cooling setup

M50 into '86 325es. I want to have AC (eventually). I want the cooling to be more than adequate. From what I gather, these are my best options.

Option 1:
    E36 radiator with E30 late model overflow reservoir
    Keep stock Aux fan with stock wiring
    Puller fan wired to stock high speed switch

Option 2:
    E36 radiator with E30 late model overflow reservoir
    Remove stock aux fan and replace with larger pusher

I'm assuming Option 1 is the best for cooling and nicely functioning AC, at the expense of making the car hard to work on.

-How much clearance will I have for a puller? Ie. should I be looking at 2.5" fans, or about that thickness?
    -Can anyone recommend a puller that will fit with an E36 radiator?
    -Do thinner fans (like what's needed here) tend to be less efficient and/or make more noise?
    -Nick
    sigpic
    1986 325es || 1998 M3 sedan || 2003 330ci

~Looking for a left side early tail light, or a set of early tails~

I bought the Spal low profile puller from Bimmerworld and it barely fit on the stock 325i radiator, using AKG motor mounts with my S52. However I had some wiring issues getting it to turn on and trigger and although it pulled a lot of air I stumbled upon the diesel fan option that I was unaware of. So that's a third option. The slim fan put out a decent amount of air but was very noisy.

I had to slot the diesel fan to clear the vanos IIRC, but it fits on the stock e36 clutch and works great. I couldn't make it mount on the front ofthe clutch, which some people were able too, which is probably why I had to notch the back. But, it sits right in the middle between the engine and radiator. Plus, while it is also a tight fit, it's really simple to pull off in case you need to get in there. I kept my stock aux pusher fan and will be hooking up my AC in a few weeks. I'll report back but I don't expect any issues. With the stock diesel fan it's, well; basically just like stock. My temp moves up to the middle line and stays there solid as a rock.

Here is the diesel fan part number:

Last edited by Mwishlist; 04-13-2016, 07:40 PM.
    Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Thanks for the info. I actually have a like new E36 diesel fan sitting in the box, as I tried it on my E36 M3 and didn't like it. Interesting that you had to notch it. It fit right on the clutch on my S52 no problem.

Because of that, i'm assuming that yours is sitting closer to the engine than normal. So you're running a late model radiator? How close is the fan to the radiator?
      -Nick
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, late model radiator. If I had put it on the clutch the normal way I would not need to notch it, BUT it would be right on / touching the radiator. So I had to mount it to the back of the fan clutch. I have seen several people who didn't have to do this and mounted it up normal on their swap but you know how these things go, change one thing in the equation and what fits for one car won't fit in another.

I was afraid it would wobble or whatever, but I dremeled each blade as close to the same as possible and it works like a champ so far.

The first picture shows the distance. I can measure it if you need but every swap is a little different. The fan clutch is actually closer to the radiator than the actual fan, which you can see in the first pic also. It's a vert so I am not tracking it or anything, but during some spirited driving even with hard braking I haven't had any contact at all.
        Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

I like the aftermarket pusher + low temp switch idea like the fan thread.

I'm running a skinny spal pusher inside the rad support between a z3m rad and FMIC. Pretty much the only thing that fits there, but without the intercooler, any 16" pusher should be fine.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

My build isn't finished but I'm working on running a stock E36 radiator and a SPAL 1960 CFM pusher fan in front of the condenser. No mechanical fan and plan on running Water Wetter.

Originally I wanted to use an M42 radiator for the cleaner look but I hear that would not have worked with the S52 + AC.

Link to the fan:

Free Shipping - Spal Electric Fans with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Fans, Electric at Summit Racing.

Comment

Thanks again for the info, guys. Does anyone know what I need to fit a late model radiator to my early model 325es (1986)? Or an E36 for that matter?

Turner and ECS both have reasonably prices all aluminum radiators the E36's. Or I can go with a Mishimoto E30/E36. Or a late model E30 Nissens. I'm not sure what's involved in fitting these to my car.
              -Nick
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X