Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard brake pedal: Will an IX booster help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little background:

I'm on my 2nd M5x - swapped E30, and what both cars have had in common is an issue with a really hard brake pedal with seemingly very little, if any boost assist. I can stop the car, but it takes a lot of pedal effort and there is very little modulation with braking power. With my last E30, in an effort to correct the exact same issue I went through several E21 and 944 booster swaps, swapped abs pumps, new brake lines, swapped proportioning valve, and new master cylinder. As the car was eventually built into a GTS2 racecar, I ultimately did a BBK front and rear and this restored and augmented all the braking power I was missing. However, it bothered me that the original issue was never really solved.

Now that I have my 2nd E30 which currently has stock brakes, I'm dealing with the same hard brake pedal. There is currently an E21 booster in the car. Are any of you dealing with the same problem? Did you end up solving it? I just ordered an IX booster in hopes that I will get added boost and improved pedal effort. Have any of you improved a hard pedal by moving to an IX booster?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks-
    '90 325is/S52
    '76 2002
    '74 2002tii
    '06 325i sedan
    '05 X5 3.0i
    '86 Alfa Spider Veloce

Originally posted by RenaissanceMan View Post
    A little background:

I'm on my 2nd M5x - swapped E30, and what both cars have had in common is an issue with a really hard brake pedal with seemingly very little, if any boost assist. I can stop the car, but it takes a lot of pedal effort and there is very little modulation with braking power. With my last E30, in an effort to correct the exact same issue I went through several E21 and 944 booster swaps, swapped abs pumps, new brake lines, swapped proportioning valve, and new master cylinder. As the car was eventually built into a GTS2 racecar, I ultimately did a BBK front and rear and this restored and augmented all the braking power I was missing. However, it bothered me that the original issue was never really solved.

Now that I have my 2nd E30 which currently has stock brakes, I'm dealing with the same hard brake pedal. There is currently an E21 booster in the car. Are any of you dealing with the same problem? Did you end up solving it? I just ordered an IX booster in hopes that I will get added boost and improved pedal effort. Have any of you improved a hard pedal by moving to an IX booster?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks-

In for answers, I run the 944 booster and my pedal is the same way. I have bled the brakes a shit load of times and it hasn't gotten any better. Also clutch pedal feels amazing so I believe the booster just isn't up to par.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by grinchxvx View Post
      In for answers, I run the 944 booster and my pedal is the same way. I have bled the brakes a shit load of times and it hasn't gotten any better. Also clutch pedal feels amazing so I believe the booster just isn't up to par.
      Note: I know the booster is working because if I hold the brake and turn the car on it gets easier with the added vacuum but it's not great still

Comment

Ix should provide slighty more assist i don't expect it to be that much as the 944is not much smaller than stock 325i. I've heard good things about Clio one
        Last edited by digger; 09-15-2016, 10:05 PM.
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

This might be an unnecessary question, but did you make sure that you had a brake booster 'one-way' valve on the hose coming from the booster to the intake? I had forgotten to put mine back on. The moment I turned my car off, the brake pedal went completely stiff.
          PNP Adapter Harness Wiring for M52TU, M54, S54, M60, M62, M62TU, S62, M50, S50, M52, S52 & MORE

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sweet3 View Post
            This might be an unnecessary question, but did you make sure that you had a brake booster 'one-way' valve on the hose coming from the booster to the intake? I had forgotten to put mine back on. The moment I turned my car off, the brake pedal went completely stiff.
            Or have you checked that the one way valve or even the booster works? My one way valve gets stuck once in a while and it makes the pedal very stiff. And if the booster itself leaks it will also affect the booster performance.

Comment

Mine definitely doesn't have one inline on the hose but where it clicks into the booster looks like it maybe, can anyone confirm?

Comment

Yes, have a check valve installed and both it and the booster are working properly.
                '90 325is/S52
                '76 2002
                '74 2002tii
                '06 325i sedan
                '05 X5 3.0i
                '86 Alfa Spider Veloce

Comment

Originally posted by grinchxvx View Post
                  Mine definitely doesn't have one inline on the hose but where it clicks into the booster looks like it maybe, can anyone confirm?
                  Yep, you have a check valve installed at the booster opening in your picture.
                  '90 325is/S52
                  '76 2002
                  '74 2002tii
                  '06 325i sedan
                  '05 X5 3.0i
                  '86 Alfa Spider Veloce

Comment

Originally posted by RenaissanceMan View Post
                    Yep, you have a check valve installed at the booster opening in your picture.

Ok that's what I thought, maybe it's just bad? Maybe I'll try hitting a parts store and trying another

Comment

Working...
                    X