E30 M3 vs. E36 M3 driveshaft w/ZF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 M3 vs. E36 M3 driveshaft w/ZF?

Trying to figure out which driveshaft to go with for my S52 swap. Will be running a ZF 320Z transmission. On my racecar with the same configuration I was running an E30 M3 driveshaft but I've read that folks are also using E36 driveshafts. Is there a benefit to running either? Do they have the same basic dimensions? Thanks-
    Last edited by RenaissanceMan; 11-28-2016, 05:59 PM.
    '90 325is/S52
    '76 2002
    '74 2002tii
    '06 325i sedan
    '05 X5 3.0i
    '86 Alfa Spider Veloce

e30m3 and big giubo e30 eta both work as a direct bolt in as long as the CSB matches.

e36m3 and e36 328 shafts work (as long as it's 4 bolt rear), but need the CSB to be reversed to line up with the holes in the e30 chassis.

Haven't found any benefits or downfalls to either, and have done many swaps. EDIT: Except the e30 shafts are easier to line up and can mis-match easier. Often the rear u-joint goes bad first, so a replacement can be had from any e30 as they all share the rear half.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      e30m3 and big giubo e30 eta both work as a direct bolt in as long as the CSB matches.

e36m3 and e36 328 shafts work (as long as it's 4 bolt rear), but need the CSB to be reversed to line up with the holes in the e30 chassis.

Haven't found any benefits or downfalls to either, and have done many swaps. EDIT: Except the e30 shafts are easier to line up and can mis-match easier. Often the rear u-joint goes bad first, so a replacement can be had from any e30 as they all share the rear half.
      Great info, thanks very much!
      '90 325is/S52
      '76 2002
      '74 2002tii
      '06 325i sedan
      '05 X5 3.0i
      '86 Alfa Spider Veloce

Comment

People are using e36 driveshafts because those are much easier and cheaper to get than e30 m3 driveshaft for example. e30 m3 part prices are sick and at least in europe the eta parts are very rare. Sometimes you can get hold onto 324td driveshaft which also works with zf trans. e36 driveshafts can be mismatched also

And the CSB has to be swapped from e30 to e36 driveshaft and do not reverse mount it! It has to go in the same way as it goes with the e30 driveshaft otherwise it will cause this:

if it's reversed it will cause misalignment in the driveshaft. It will work for while but it will destroy the u-joint eventually and cause horrible driveshaft wobble. Which the causes the CSB to break.

Comment

^^^Strange. I have a daily driven swap that I did in 2007 and no sign of the CSB failing. Good to know, though, will contact him and see if it's an issue.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

^^^Strange. I have a daily driven swap that I did in 2007 and no sign of the CSB failing. Good to know, though, will contact him and see if it's an issue.
            I have 600-700nm of torque which may aggect also :D What year was the car? Older ones have but different CSB and it can be installed either way (It's symmetrical).

Comment

1991 318is slick top is the chassis. Stock US s52.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

I ended up using the big guibo and an early model e30 e driveshaft for my s52/320Z. I had to do this since the e30 this was going into was originally auto....and was stuck with the e36 m3 driveshaft with the CV flange for the diff.

The e30 e DS fit like a charm.
                555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                '95 BMW e34 525i
                '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
                '92 Range Rover Classic
                '90 Range Rover Classic
                '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
                '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
                '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
                '67 Pontiac LeMans
                '24 Model T Depot Hack
                ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

I used an old junkyard big guibo 325e driveshaft with a stiff rear u-joint. It lasted a year before if started to vibrate and now I have a "clink" when I take off.

I would use a low mileage E36 shaft to get the most life out of the u-joints.

Comment

Working...
                  X