Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driveline Help-318is Driveshaft with 260?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveline Help-318is Driveshaft with 260?

After debating upgrading my Jake B turbo system I bumped into Schneller at the track. Mike is now running an s54 in his car so he had his old s52 up for sale. Its a nice, low mileage setup with cams, injectors, big MAF etc. Thinking this would be a direct drop in to my current driveline I decided to go for it and keep the turbo upgrades for another project. I planned on messing with the diff ratios after driving it around for a bit.

I picked up the motor today. s52 flywheel and do not fit in the 240 bell housing. I have a 260 from a 325is that i parted years ago. I think its in good shape. I know I need the 10 degree mount and shift rod but any idea if the 318is driveshaft will work? Thoughts on the shifter carrier? What else am I missing?

It looks like measurements from the front of the bell housing to the carrier mount is 18" on both transmissions but the 260 is an inch longer in total. I am not sure if my driveshaft will collapse that much.

Thanks, Brad
    Last edited by brads2002; 10-29-2017, 05:33 PM.

The g260 can use the stock g260 shift carrier, it simply gets rotated 10 degrees with the transmission (but can be corrected with the twisted dssr).

The 318's stock driveshaft is going to be too long, so a matching 325i/g260 driveshaft is what you'll want.

Comment

Thanks that makes sense. Good news on the carrier.

Comment

Be aware of the m20 driveshaft. I've done this swap and the drive shaft splines only engaged by about 1/2". The e36 non-m3 getrag cars got a shaft that's 1512mm, the e30 g260 shaft is 1492mm. That brings the halves together another 1/2" for closer to 1" engagement, you just have to flip the CSB to mount in an e30.

Many people are running the m20 g260 shaft, but even though many say "it's fine, been like that for years in my car", I didn't trust it. The e36 shaft half remedies this, and since you have to purchase a shaft anyways, might as well get one that works half decent.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
          Be aware of the m20 driveshaft. I've done this swap and the drive shaft splines only engaged by about 1/2". The e36 non-m3 getrag cars got a shaft that's 1512mm, the e30 g260 shaft is 1492mm. That brings the halves together another 1/2" for closer to 1" engagement, you just have to flip the CSB to mount in an e30.

Many people are running the m20 g260 shaft, but even though many say "it's fine, been like that for years in my car", I didn't trust it. The e36 shaft half remedies this, and since you have to purchase a shaft anyways, might as well get one that works half decent.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. So does the s52 actually sit further up in the bay then the M20 did? My impression was that it sat a little further back which should compress the splines more.

With the e36 do I use just the rear half of the shaft? I thought I read that the guibo holes didn't match the M20. If using only the back half of the shaft do I run into the same problem using the 318is front shaft I currently have?

Also, are your measurements fully collapsed?

Brad

Comment

Opps, totally my bad. I missed the swap part, and only paid attention to the title (not the sub-forum). I was thinking you are putting a g260 behind your m42 to take advantage of the larger diameter clutch.

You will be fine using the g260 and stock m20 shaft.

e36 came with a few different shafts, so don't go by what you read. 328/m3 had some with large giubo in the front and 4 bolt flange in the rear (like an e30), some of those have the CV rear flange - but - then you have the 325 that came with the getrag 250 which is the same dimensions as a 260 (except the tilt). This shaft will work in an e30, I have done it many times by using the e30 CSB mounted to the shaft backwards (works even on the large giubo shaft, but that doesn't help you with a small giubo lol).
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Got it. Thanks for the help. Its good to have a second confirmation on the M20 shaft.

Comment

Working...
              X