Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 318is M50 Swap

Hello All,

Iv'e been reading through a lot of thread posts to get to where I currently am in my swap. The M42 in my 318is crapped out on me so my father and I started to work on this swap as a nice father-son project. We purchase a 1992 525i as a donor car as it drove great and only had 90k on it. Currently we have the m50 along with the transmission that came from the 525i (I believe a zf) in the car. shift linkage from e36 fit great and is in. Custom driveshaft has been made and is in. Found a 2.93 LSD and that is also in. Exhaust is also done with custom down pipes. We are currently working on getting brake booster in. We also still have radiator/fan questions. And we still have to figure out all of the wiring. After much searching I was under the impression that the 525i booster was the same as the 325ix booster and would fit, but this is not the case at all. Searching has just gotten me more confused about which option would be the easiest for my swap. So I take to the forms and am hoping to get advice as to what I should do here for a booster. Obviously we are hoping to have the brakes feel the best that they can but we do not want to drill new holes and move the booster over. I keep reading about 325ix booster but cant tell what master i need and if i would need a remote reservoir or not. Also been reading about jetta, and porsche boosters. Anyway thanks for looking and if you have any advice/ideas/questions about my setup please let me know!

Nice-Nh

I used Ix booster, holes drilled over 1/2 inch. It wasn’t a big deal. I also used ix master and remote reservoir from what I think was a 2002. Clears the manifold on green mounts, no spacers. I personally thought moving the booster was better than running spacers between an engine mount. The clevis is easy to modify if you have any welding skills at all.

I tried a stock booster but it wouldn’t clear without spacers.

Pm me your email if you want some pics.

Comment

e32 735i booster and master with the 2002 remote reservoir...direct fit with no modification. Firm pedal and works great. It's what I run on my s52 track car.

The 2002 reservoir required a remote mounting location and a supply and return line both leading to 2002 plastic elbows

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
      Instagram:
      https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
      LS Build Thread:
      https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

Working...
      X