help with power steering on an S50 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with power steering on an S50 swap

I bought the car as is in my signature. it has a Z3 power steering rack that has been power steering deleted with a garagistic kit. I would like to convert it back to power steering and was looking for help on what I need for parts to get that done.

thanks in advance
    Brilliantrot 1991 325-1995 BMW S50 Engine S50 intake-headers Borla Pro XS- 318is Radiator Spal 16” pusher fan Cone filter Tuned by RK- Bilstein Sport dampers with IE springs -Z3 steering rack- 16” style 5 from E32 Wilwood 4 piston Dynapro calipers -EBC pads Volkswagen Corrado rotors stainless steel lines-E32 M5 master cylinder, 325iX brake booster, 2002ti remote reservoir-1996 325i driveshaft Z3 3.15 Torsen LSD Z3 1.8 shifter IS lip and spoiler Antenna deleted Euro Grilles

Modified power steering lines, resivour & pump.
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Thanks I was hoping for some part numbers or what model I should be referencing. I woudl think E36 rez and pump since that's what engine it is but I am not entirely positive.
      Brilliantrot 1991 325-1995 BMW S50 Engine S50 intake-headers Borla Pro XS- 318is Radiator Spal 16” pusher fan Cone filter Tuned by RK- Bilstein Sport dampers with IE springs -Z3 steering rack- 16” style 5 from E32 Wilwood 4 piston Dynapro calipers -EBC pads Volkswagen Corrado rotors stainless steel lines-E32 M5 master cylinder, 325iX brake booster, 2002ti remote reservoir-1996 325i driveshaft Z3 3.15 Torsen LSD Z3 1.8 shifter IS lip and spoiler Antenna deleted Euro Grilles

Comment

Originally posted by mabimmer View Post
        Thanks I was hoping for some part numbers or what model I should be referencing. I woudl think E36 rez and pump since that's what engine it is but I am not entirely positive.
        Go here, punch in your VIN and voila! https://www.realoem.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bradmer View Post
          Go here, punch in your VIN and voila! https://www.realoem.com/
          Negative, he needs to research it in the 24v sub forum. There's detailed info on there.
          @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

E34 or E36 power steering pump will work, as long as it is not from an E34 touring
            E36 high pressure line (IIRC)
            E36 low pressure lines that will take some modification

I would get the E36 power steering reservoir bracket, so you can mount it down on the engine arm, like BMW designed it to be. However, if you don't like that, you could use the E30 power steering bracket and E30 hoses and put it up top somewhere.

Here is a conversion I did a few years back for "cbouchez". He wanted the reservoir on top, with a modified E30 power steering reservoir bracket. Really all depends on personal preference.
            Attached Files
            '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

On mine I was able to use all m20 325i hoses. The high pressure line needed a slight bend (which can be done by hand), and the reservoir hoses were just cut down since the e36 reservoir sits lower.

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
                On mine I was able to use all m20 325i hoses. The high pressure line needed a slight bend (which can be done by hand), and the reservoir hoses were just cut down since the e36 reservoir sits lower.
                This also worked for me on my 1987 325i, the reservoir is down low.

Comment

I went with Chase Bays for the high pressure line, factory for the pump to res line, but ran into problems trying to fit factory E36 lines for the return line.

I just bought a short Cohline banjo fitting with 90 degree bend and plan on making my own return line.

Comment

Thanks all. I see chase bay makes a kit for s50 swapped e30 w all hoses and res. It’s pricey but that looks like a good option. I like the low mount e36 approach. I know ZF pumps are hard to find so I guess I’ll go w a standard 3 series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X