s50 oil dip stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

s50 oil dip stick

for those of you using the oil dipstick that came on the s50, what mark are you using to tell if the oil level is correct. I hear that it won't tell you the correct level for full, which is why people use the e34 m50 one. But I am going to use the s50 dip stick.

A new E34/M50 dipstick is $15. I think it is worth it to know the correct oil level.

Comment

agreed

Comment

sorry i wasn't clear. I'm using the s50 dipstick and housing. I guess I may have to fork over another $30 for the e34 m50 dipstick housing since i have the correct dip stick, oh well.

Comment

Stick and tube were included with my E34 pan. Who/where sold you yours?

I got mine from Joe, but he's cool about the ankle-biter stuff.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

Stick and tube were included with my E34 pan. Who/where sold you yours?

I got mine from Joe, but he's cool about the ankle-biter stuff.
            I got my pan from theeurodepot.com, it says it's supposed to come with a free oil pan gasket... didn't. So I went out and bought one. And didn't come with anything else. I took the oil pan baffle out of the new oil pan and left the s50 oil pan baffle in and put the oil pan on the motor.

Comment

Pick up the dipstick tube as well. The S50 one has fitment issues which may lead to a small oil leak.

Are the baffles designed to work with specific pans since the pickup points are in different locations (E34 v. E36)? I ask this because everyone seems to remove the baffle from the x50/52 engines instead of removing them from the pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike B. View Post
                Pick up the dipstick tube as well. The S50 one has fitment issues which may lead to a small oil leak.

Are the baffles designed to work with specific pans since the pickup points are in different locations (E34 v. E36)? I ask this because everyone seems to remove the baffle from the x50/52 engines instead of removing them from the pan.

You beat me to it.

Hey Bimmer 335is, this motor is going in an E30 - correct? Just making sure. I don't think you can even get the pan close, since your oil pickup needs to change as well.
                Here's how it goes. Unless you came up with a new solution, but I highly doubt that could happen.

1. Pull e36 pan. Throw in trashcan.
                2. Pull e36 pan baffle. Same trashcan.
                3. Pull oil pickup, careful as it's attached to the bearing cap. follow the oil trail to the trashcan. Add the oil pickup.
                4. Retourque bearing cap.
                5. install E34 pickup.
                6 install new pan gasket
                7. install new pan
                8. tape over the dipstick hole until you are ready to install the E34 one.

You plan to secure your oilpump gear nut, right?
                Here's mine:
                Last edited by LINUS; 01-23-2007, 08:36 AM.

It's not how you handle the good times, but the faith you keep in the bad that defines you.

Comment

You also should loc-tite or safety wire your oil pump sprocket nut while you are in there. It can come loose and your engine won't like the results.

Note: It is reverse threaded.

Comment

You beat me to it.

Hey Bimmer 335is, this motor is going in an E30 - correct? Just making sure. I don't think you can even get the pan close, since your oil pickup needs to change as well.
                    Here's how it goes. Unless you came up with a new solution, but I highly doubt that could happen.

1. Pull e36 pan. Throw in trashcan.
                    2. Pull e36 pan baffle. Same trashcan.
                    3. Pull oil pickup, careful as it's attached to the bearing cap. follow the oil trail to the trashcan. Add the oil pickup.
                    4. Retourque bearing cap.
                    5. install E34 pickup.
                    6 install new pan gasket
                    7. install new pan
                    8. tape over the dipstick hole until you are ready to install the E34 one.

You plan to secure your oilpump gear nut, right?
                    Okay, yes this is going in an e30.

Did change out my pickup tube.
                    1. pulled e36 pan
                    2. pulled e36 oil puckup, and cut the mount that is attached to bearing cap for clearance.
                    3. installed e34 pickup, and locktited the pump sprocket nut.
                    4. removed e36 oil pan baffle
                    5. tried to get oilpan to fit with e34 oil pan baffle
                    6. didn't work so I cut some of the oil pan baffle off for fitment on the side that was having trouble fitting.
                    7. still didn't work
                    8. put e36 oilpan baffle back in cuz I heard that others are using it
                    9. took out e34 oilpan baffle and installed with no problems

should I take the e36 baffle out and try harder to make the e34 baffle fit? I wasn't sure if this would be a huge issue or not.

Comment

There is a small bracket that remains once you remove the E36 baffle. This bracket needs to be removed in order for the E34 pan w/ baffle to fit.

Most commonly, this bracket is bent back/forth until it breaks off.

Comment

yeah, i cut it... maybe i need to cut it more.

Comment

Bimmerworld has an oil pump nut that is drilled for safety wire. You get the nut and the wire for $10. Cheap insurance.

Comment

Be careful when you cut it to avoid metal shavings. That's why it is typically bent back/forth until it breaks off.

Comment

has anyone taken the oilpan out while the motor is in the car?

Comment

Working...
                              X