Fired it up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fired it up!

3 weekends after starting, I fired up the S52 OBDI swap.

It started immediately after properly hooking up the starter. Took a few cranks to get some gas, but then it idled perfectly. Albeit, a bit loud since there was no exhaust.

Problems thus far:
    • No temperature reading in the gauge cluster.
      I imagine this is because I accidentally used the E36 OBDI temperate sensor. Anyone have an E30 gauge cluster temperature sensor?
    • The car doesn't seem to heat up.
      This might seem hard to say without the temp gauge working, but anytime I get to freeway speed the heater blows cool air. At idle, it blows warm. I think I need a new thermostat. Ideas?
    • Steering feels kinda weird.
      I definitely need an alignment, but it's possible the E36 rack is malfunctioning in some way.
    • Reverse lights don't work.
      We originally wired the transmission switch into the old E30 reverse hook up. That didn't work. So I used the harness supposedly to extend the VANOS connector in the OBDI swap to hook up the reverse light to the OBDI harness (didn't the E36 hook the reverse light to the harness near the oxygen sensor?). This didn't work either. I'm hoping I need to hook it back up to the E30 reverse connector and switch the wires around. Any ideas?
    • Loud as hell.
      I need an exhaust. My roommates could hear me coming home from a half-mile away.
      EDIT
    • Coolant leak near the rear firewall.
      Maybe this is a leak where the coolant lines connect to the firewall.
    • Powersteering Leak
      OEM hose clamp on the reservoir isn't functioning.
    I think that's it. That was easy.
    Last edited by bdi_fc; 02-04-2007, 10:45 AM.
    E30 Wiki: e30dohc.com/wiki

Good job Nicolas! I just spoke to Sean and told me the good news. Should have thrown a turbocharger while the motor was out :)

Last edited by skeides; 02-04-2007, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bdi_fc View Post
      The car doesn't seem to heat up.
      This might seem hard to say without the temp gauge working, but anytime I get to freeway speed the heater blows cool air. At idle, it blows warm. I think I need a new thermostat. Ideas?
      Swap your heater core hoses.
      91 m3

Comment

that car is not sane or logical.

fuckin sweet.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

• No temperature reading in the gauge cluster.
            I imagine this is because I accidentally used the E36 OBDI temperate sensor. Anyone have an E30 gauge cluster temperature sensor?
          I put in the E30 temperature sensor from a block sitting in a shed. I tested it with a pot of boiling water, only to find out that it doesn't work unless it's in the block (grounding?).

So after putting the intake manifold back on, it pegged hot. Then after idling a couple of minutes it settled just above the blue. Better than the e36, but I didn't let it run long enough to heat up. The bottom coolant hose was cold but the top one was hot. Any ideas?

• The car doesn't seem to heat up.
          I still think I need a new thermostat as the old one may be stuck.

• Steering feels kinda weird.
            I definitely need an alignment, but it's possible the E36 rack is malfunctioning in some way.
          Still feels kinda weird.
          • Reverse lights don't work.
            We originally wired the transmission switch into the old E30 reverse hook up. That didn't work. So I used the harness supposedly to extend the VANOS connector in the OBDI swap to hook up the reverse light to the OBDI harness (didn't the E36 hook the reverse light to the harness near the oxygen sensor?). This didn't work either. I'm hoping I need to hook it back up to the E30 reverse connector and switch the wires around. Any ideas?
          Fixed this. Rehooked up the old E30 connector through the shift boot and switched the wires around. Works now.
          • Loud as hell.
            I need an exhaust. My roommates could hear me coming home from a half-mile away
          Monday, we'll fix this.
          EDIT
          • Coolant leak near the rear firewall.
            Maybe this is a leak where the coolant lines connect to the firewall.
          • Powersteering Leak
            OEM hose clamp on the reservoir isn't functioning.
          Loose clamp on the bottom firewall coolant line. Lose OE clamp on the bottom of the powersteering reservoir.

Fixed both of these as far as I know, but now I'm happy to hear I might have to go under there again to fix the firewall coolant hoses. Yay.
          E30 Wiki: e30dohc.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by 325Projectz View Post
            Swap your heater core hoses.
            agreed. had this happen on 2 of my swaps. (you think i would have learned the first time.) cheers, jason

Comment

The bottom coolant hose was cold but the top one was hot. Any ideas?
              that's how it should be

Comment

Working...
              X