Ews Iii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ews Iii

I have been looking to do a swap for some time.

I have bought a donor car (late 98 Euro M Coupe) which has EWS III fitted.

Can anyone tell me what the EWS III needs in order to work.

Can it be wired up?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Brian

Originally posted by Aussie M3ti View Post
    II have bought a donor car (late 98 Euro M Coupe) .....Can anyone tell me what the EWS III needs in order to work.
    Yes, it can be fitted. i just completed the same swap. You will need the key, antenna ring, borg, ews2 and dme from that car. the ews2, key and dme are all coded together. you cannot swap keys, ews2 or dme's. cheers, jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason89i View Post
      Yes, it can be fitted. i just completed the same swap. You will need the key, antenna ring, borg, ews2 and dme from that car. the ews2, key and dme are all coded together. you cannot swap keys, ews2 or dme's. cheers, jason
      Thanks Jason,

One Noob question what is the "borg"

Cheers

Brian

Comment

Thanks Jason,

Cheers

Brian
        the borg is just a signal booster. small black box with (2) 3 wire connectors on it.....also says "borg" written on the top.

here's how it works.....so ive been told. key inserted into ignition, antenna ring looks for magnetic code imbedded in key. magnetic code is run to the borg unit. the borg unit boosts the magnetic signal to a digital signal. digital signal is sent to the ews2. ews2 unit checks the key code number, requests vin number from dme, verifies all numbers match, then allows signal to go to starter and allows engine to run. key, ews2 and dme must all be from the same car and coded together.

cheers, jason

Comment

The "borg" box is the RF signal transmit/receive box. :)

Comment

E30 Wiki: e30dohc.com/wiki

Comment

This is funny. I spend LOTS of time bypassing these things, or futzing with transponder boxes to allow remote start on cars that came with transponders.

Why are you guys adding them?

Luke

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                This is funny. I spend LOTS of time bypassing these things, or futzing with transponder boxes to allow remote start on cars that came with transponders.

Why are you guys adding them?

Luke
                i would be VERY interested in bypassing the ews2. if you can figure out how to bypass, you could make some good $. ive been "told" the dme will not run without the signal. cheers, jason

Comment

Count me in on any bypass tips as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason89i View Post
                    the borg is just a signal booster. small black box with (2) 3 wire connectors on it.....also says "borg" written on the top.
                    Ahh, the EWS 3 doesn't have the borg. Looking at some wiring diagrams it looks like it is built in to the main EWS unit.

With the EWS 3 does anyone know if is functionaly the same as the EWS 2 but combined into one unit. Has the same inputs and outputs as the Combined EWS 2 and borg.

Thanks

Brian

Comment

So exactly what year/model is this motor coming out of?

These guys build them for several BMWs, but I dunno which one you need. I carry them on a special order basis.

They are intended to be used on remote start systems, but you could easily trigger them off of the normal ignition wires.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

So exactly what year/model is this motor coming out of?

These guys build them for several BMWs, but I dunno which one you need. I carry them on a special order basis.

They are intended to be used on remote start systems, but you could easily trigger them off of the normal ignition wires.

Luke
                        i just looked into the site. under their recommended "best" option was the TBKIII. they give you a box, you buy another antenna from bmw (if read the fine print) and then put your spare key in their box with the new antenna. Everything gets zip tied together and shoved in the glove box. the only thing the little box does is toggle between the two key codes (one in the ignition, one in the glove box.) you dont want the computer seeing two different keys at the same time, it might freak out.

in essence, you using your spare key in the glove box in lieu of the ignition switch. its not bypassing the ews2, its just using your spare key for the key code. (a dream come true for a professional theif.)

cheers, jason

Comment

Jason, you have the general idea, but not quite the execution.

I was hoping the had a "Key Not Required" option, but must be a earlier model.

The antenna referred to comes from the transponder box, and is included.

The box goes inside the dash and would be triggered when the key is turned on, assuming you were using a non-transponder key. You may be able to use a programmed but not cut key (would not turn cylinder) as a bypass key.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Jason, you have the general idea, but not quite the execution.

I was hoping the had a "Key Not Required" option, but must be a earlier model.

The antenna referred to comes from the transponder box, and is included.

The box goes inside the dash and would be triggered when the key is turned on, assuming you were using a non-transponder key. You may be able to use a programmed but not cut key (would not turn cylinder) as a bypass key.

Luke
                            they do not offer any "key not required" options for the bmw's with ews2.

cheers, jason

Comment

Hahaha . Fail !

Jason you weasel , when did you score a Euro S50 ?
                              3.0 or 3.2 ?

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Working...
                              X