528i engine ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

528i engine ?

Would an engine from a 97 528i be the same as having an obd2 328 engine and would require obd1 conversion, anything else ?

1997 BMW 528i ENGINE - $800

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reply to: sale-617369813@craigslist.org
    Date: 2008-03-24, 4:20PM PDT

Complete engine
    about 97K miles

The engine run great before the accident.
    Engine still in the car.
    Computers, wiereing available.
    needs oil pan
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

negatron. That is an M52TU. It would require being run as an OBD-II engine, which isn't impossible, but might be a little difficult. Also, the oilpan has the sump in the rear, so you'll need to change it.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

That engine is OBDII. If it needs the oil pan it's not a good deal, especially considering it's been in an accident.

The oil pan is 1/2 the reason to get an e34 motor to begin with. I pulled mine from a crashed 325 and only paid $350.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
        The oil pan is 1/2 the reason to get an e34 motor to begin with.
        this is a e39 not e34, so it makes no difference if the pan is there or not.

im pretty sure you can convert the motor to obd1 i believe. and it should run well. verify the condition of the motor though. check for any other issues, if the pan is cracked there could be other issues such as oil starvation post-accident.

Comment

What does the "TU" suffix mean?

Comment

TU=Technical Update (aka dual vanos M52). As long as it isn't the TU, (which, I want to say, didn't get put in the 528 until either late 98 or 99) then you should be golden.
            My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
            There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
              TU=Technical Update (aka dual vanos M52). As long as it isn't the TU, (which, I want to say, didn't get put in the 528 until either late 98 or 99) then you should be golden.
              Whats wrong with the M52TU? Vanos probs? Can't they be upgraded?

Otherwise OBDII is not such a huge deal, its just that few people have done it. Its a little extra work but no biggie (As long as you're friendly with ETM's). But, you MUST get the ECU, key and transponder from the donor car to run it (and you get a pretty sweet immobiliser too!)

Comment

Originally posted by btec116 View Post
                Whats wrong with the M52TU? Vanos probs? Can't they be upgraded?

Otherwise OBDII is not such a huge deal, its just that few people have done it. Its a little extra work but no biggie (As long as you're friendly with ETM's). But, you MUST get the ECU, key and transponder from the donor car to run it (and you get a pretty sweet immobiliser too!)
                TU is double vanos

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                  negatron.
                  LOL!

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                  That is an M52TU. It would require being run as an OBD-II engine, which isn't impossible, but might be a little difficult. Also, the oilpan has the sump in the rear, so you'll need to change it.
                  are you sure Fred? I heard that there was a production timepoint either in 97 or 98 when they changed for TU. (stupid realoem is lying)
                  Either way, look for two humps on the vanos housing - if there are two humps = double-vanos, single = single. You can also check if the block is alu or cast iron. Cast iron = rusty looking block = (AFAIK) = M52 (non TU) = single vanos
                  Also there were problems on early M52TU motors' vanos. The seals would start leaking and the exhaust vanos wouldn't advance resulting in crap cold running.

but if the pan was damaged, there is a chance the motor was oil-starved and may had internal damage. So unless you rebuild it, i'd pass

Comment

Originally posted by static View Post
                    LOL!
                    You can also check if the block is alu or cast iron. Cast iron = rusty looking block = (AFAIK) = M52 (non TU) = single vanos
                    M52's in Europe and Aus are alloy only. Did the US get cast iron? ANyone know why? Was that to do with fuel/pitting probs (aka M60's)?

Comment

Originally posted by btec116 View Post
                      M52's in Europe and Aus are alloy only. Did the US get cast iron? ANyone know why? Was that to do with fuel/pitting probs (aka M60's)?
                      yea, nikasil + sulfur in US gas = eroded walls

Comment

do it obdii if you must. you've probed to know plenty on the subject. its doable, very doable... look at me, i've never wired anything but toy lightbulbs and managed to get my s52 running on obdii the first time it turned over.

i say go for it. 800 is hell of a nice price and you could probably get the guy to give you all of the electronics since the thing is still in the car. see my obdii wiring kamasutra thread to find out exactly what you need.
                        No more e30s for me.
                        88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                        88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                        91 BMW 325i [sold]
                        86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                        http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                          do it obdii if you must. you've probed to know plenty on the subject. its doable, very doable... look at me, i've never wired anything but toy lightbulbs and managed to get my s52 running on obdii the first time it turned over.

i say go for it. 800 is hell of a nice price and you could probably get the guy to give you all of the electronics since the thing is still in the car. see my obdii wiring kamasutra thread to find out exactly what you need.
                          THats it, and the rest of the wiring will be useless to him anyway (once the DME's gone). You could even use the ignition barrel.

Comment

^^ its how i got my engine....2600 got all of that and even the driveshaft with a lot of random extra parts mounts etc etc etc. you could probably do the same with this guy.
                            No more e30s for me.
                            88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                            88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                            91 BMW 325i [sold]
                            86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Working...
                            X