Wiring up EWS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring up EWS

I am almost done with the wiring of my s50b32 into my '89 m3. Can someone please tell me what needs to be done to wire in the EWS? I have the two EWS boxes that came from the donor car, but I don't know where to wire them up to.

I already have the main engine harness wired up to the body harness. I have a few wires that need to be wired up to the c103 connector under the glovebox that I will do soon, but I don't know where to wire in the EWS boxes.
    Please help.

-Erik

I requested the EWS delete chip for my ECU from Turner.

I don't know that anyone has used EWS on a swap.

Comment

Do you have the key and key tumbler from the parts car?

635csi Euro/Alpina B7S

Comment

Give Ian Haynes a PM, he has completely functional EWS on his B32 swap.

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
        RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Here ya go Erik:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by e30pq View Post
            I requested the EWS delete chip for my ECU from Turner.

EWS II from the Euro motors aren't as easy to just bypass. I don't know of anybody who makes an EWS chip that will work with this motor.

Originally posted by Stu
            Thanks a lot!

-Erik

Comment

EWSII cannot be bypassed with any chip for now (AFAIK), but it is not hard to re-wire.

WHat you MUST have:
              MATCHING DME and ignition key
              Coil (from around the ignition key)
              Transponder (smaller black box)
              EWS unit (Larger black box with funky yellow connector)

Most important is the matching key and DME, these are what store a (16-digit?) code which MUST match.
              The rest is easy, and can be very neatly tucked under the dash wiring, everything you need is already there.
              Dont worry about emailing Ian, he already kindly sent me all the relevant info (with pics and instructions) to do this. I also have the ETM's, I'll get the relevant images from it too.
              Gimme a while, I'll dig-up all my wiring info and post it tonight.

Comment

Here is a great post on the topic of wiring EWS-II - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...03&postcount=1

Comment

Originally posted by e30pq View Post
                  Yes, there are people running EWS (like me)!

All my stuff is from an E36 323i build: Jun '96, but it seems to be the same across all EWSII systems. ANyway, make sure everything you're doing makes sense!

Here are the units
                  elec modules.JPG

From Ian:
                  Hi Bence,

This diagram shows the minimum requirement to get the EWS working on an E30 (or any other car come to that ;-)).

There's also some good discussion here (you will probably need to register):

Cheers,

Ian.

Additional:

Backing up Ian's info, here's the relevant ETM (2 pages) showing all pin connectors and their function.

EWS ETM1.jpg

EWS ETM2.jpg

The pins which Ian left out are mostly body-control module and gearbox pins and can thus be ignored. You can choose wether or not you want to wire in the starter motor cut circuit; pins 1/3 (I chose not to).

Otherwise what is important is to use the correct fuses to protect the EWS module, and to choose the correct supply voltages under your dash. Under my dash I found HEAPS of really conveniently placed random unused terminals and plugs supplying power. You just ahve to poke around to find the right ones; that is, pick ones that switch on with ignition-on, don't use plugs that are always live; this will result in your EWS always being on. And same goes for the transmitter of course. There is a large white terminating board to which lots of random little plugs go (that's a horrible description but you'll see what I'm talking about). There are lots of free supply terminals on it, and if you have some BMW wiring lying around you can even use some connectors to mate to it a-la-factory!

Some other things to keep in mind;
                  Pin 9 carries a signal from either the automatic gear position switch or clutch pedal switch (If you have one). I jumped this at the switching fuse, as my donor E30 was an auto (ugh!). I think this requires a voltage to enable the DME, and Ian doesn't really mention it. Sorry I dont have my car with me now so can't check! But looking at the ETM, I think it does, and the same rules apply, make sure you fuse it right and you'll be sweet! (For example you could just feed it from the same supply as pin 5, and come to think of it I think thats what I did)

A trick I found really useful were pins 1 and 3 which were originally for the starter-motor circuit. Once I had everything wired up, I switched to ignition-on, then checked for continuity across these pins. If you have it, you can be 100% sure EWS is disabled, and you can start-up. If there is no continuity, don't even bother trying, go back to your wiring!
                  Oh yeah, and another weird one, some supply terminals under the dash switch off while cranking. Obviously if you have any of these feeding your EWS, it makes starting up impossible!!! (It took me a while to figure out that one;) )

So there's a fair bit here, if any of this is confusing or if you can't get the EWS going let us know, but this should get you through!

Cheers,
                  Bence
                  Attached Files

Comment

Edit on pin-9 of the EWS, it may only be there on Auto cars. Unfortunately we're riddled with these shitboxes here, so its almost impossible to avoid. You probably will on an M3 though;) So just ignore that.

Also, a Newbie-Q but how do you get images to appear, instead of just putting in the links?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post

This works....I posted it. :-) I have no EWS issues on my S50 B32 swap.

I heard a rumor that D'Sylva MIGHT be able to bypass EWS on the S50B32.

Comment

Sweet, that's all a lot of great information. Where are the two EWS boxes located on an e36? I have both of the EWS boxes, but need to pull the wiring connectors off my buddy's parts car to wire it up.

-Erik

Comment

They should be close to the steering column; the coil for the key has wires on it that connect up to the transmitter box, these are only about a foot long by memory. Dont knwo where the EWS is, sorry.

Comment

The transponder is up under the steering column which is where the transmitter ring is obviously. The EWS is on the passenger side, left side of the glovebox area.
                            Old and improved:

Comment

Nice one.

Definately grab the connectors, they make wiring up damn-easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X