Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brew
    Originally posted by Bryson
    haha, you guys are talking about modifying two different parts, both of you are right.
    the screwdriver will bend the upper shift linkage
    Ah fuck, now I'm really confused. I was talking about bending the actual shift lever, the part that the knob goes on.
    I was talking about bending the actual shift lever too. Too much cross talk in this thread.

Comment

[quote="PanamaE30"]if i'm not mistaken, EWS became an issue with '96+ engines, which had that and OBDII... 318ti guys dumping sixes in their cars usually had this issue with later engines. Basically you'd have to take your car to a stealer to get something with the computer reset.

some 95 obd1 m50 engines had the ews. i got my m50 offf a 95 (automatic with traction control) and had to eliminate alot of wiring stuff. The ecu was the silver label 413.....littlel did i know. i spent 4 weeks chasing down wires with a no spark condition. last ditch effort, i plugged in a burgandy label 413 ecu....fired right up. in summary the silver label 413 ecu has ews.....no workie.....the burgandy label 413 ecu does not have ews....it works w/o coded key. check with turner, i heard he developed a chip for the e30m50 guys that eliminates ews AND the need for a speed reference signal.....but dont quote me on that. cheers, jason

Comment

might want to check the production date...

'95 was an incredibly long production year, extending from late '94.. it's possible that engine came from one of those systems..
        1988 325iC - "Betty" - Daily Driver/Project Car.
        1993 318i - "The Golden Dream" - Dad's Car.
        1995 318ti - "Hellrot" - R.I.P.

Comment

In fact every 95-on has EWS. The silver 413 is the S50 DME while the burgundy is the 92-94 325i DME. They work since the US s50 is basically a M50B30 with cams.

Being said dont run from an EWS DME, almost everyone makes a chip that doesnt include EWS now. Im running the 413 EWS S50 DME with a turner chip -EWS.

Id much rather have to battle the EWS issue with a post 10/95 S50 than I would the valve retainer issue that plagues the earlier models.
          Im now E30less.
          sigpic

Comment

Ever had any problems with mounting arms not working? I have an e34 engine, bought e36 mounting arms and holes don't line up on the engine block... Am I fucked or what?

It looks like the right arm is going to fit, but the left arm is not. It is part number 11811141137 Any thoughts what so ever are appreciated.

Addis

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
            On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
            BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

Be sure you have the correct bracket, it should fit right on, if you have it rotated corretly and all.

Comment

it is a bitch to get those bottom bolts for the rubber mounts isn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by kylebes1
                  it is a bitch to get those bottom bolts for the rubber mounts isn't it.
                  Nah, It wasn't that bad at all.
                  Eric
                  85 325e M50 and auto to manual transmission conversion...

Comment

If I were to get my car in alright condition to be ready for an M50 swap what should I look into doing right now? I'm going to be upgrading the suspension very shortly along with wheels and tires. Biggest things I have planned before the M50 this summer is a 5spd swap and new differential.. or would it be smart to over upgrade for the M50? Should I worry about getting something with better stopping power then replacement rotors like Brembo or EBC?

I'd just like to get some things ready for the M50. Any tips would be great.
                    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

IF you have vented rotors in the front and discs in the rear, like all 325 cars have, you will be fine, even for a couple track laps. I am upgrading to BBK or something soon, the drums and solid rotors actually stop well but would fade like hell if I were to track the car.

Wait on the diff, if you go to the m50 your transmission choice will greatly affect which diff you need.

IMO and some what fact:

m50/s50 with-
                      the e36 five speed (1:1 fifth gear) a 3.25 would be perfect
                      if you go with the e36 m3 five speed (~.82:1 fifth gear) you will can use the 3.25 or up toa a 3.73 and be happy with daily driving and have plenty of thrust
                      I am going to a 2.93 because I only drive on the interstate, speeds of 80 and 90 are tough with a 3.73, the revs are way too high for comfortable cruising.

Some say the 2.93 is too tall, but the ETA has them, the m20 b27 that is. the less powerful m20 is able to take off decently and cruise, and it even has a taller transmission than the e36 five speed I have.

Right now I have the e36 five speed and a 3.73 diff, it is a terrible combination, first is useless, second is my takeoff gear and when it is wet there is no traction all the way into fourth.

Comment

Greeting's guys Could some one give me a short list of parts I'll need to do the m50 swap in my 84 318i? I got a price for a 95 m50 with tranny (manuel) complete wireing harness and drive shaft for $2000 does that sound right? P.S. Thanx ryan for pointing me over here, more performane oriented guys over here.

Comment

Manuel doesnt know jack about engine swaps, dont listen to him. :P

The engine and tranny are fine but if you are going with the E36 tranny you will need an E30 M3 driveshaft (or change the flange on the tranny according to Jordan).

This is one of the better online sources. It leaves out things that you wil need like the E36 shifter parts if you go with the E36 tranny.

Im now E30less.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
                            The engine and tranny are fine but if you are going with the E36 tranny you will need an E30 M3 driveshaft (or change the flange on the tranny according to Jordan).
                            You only need the E30 M3 driveshaft if you are going to use the ZF manual transmission. Those transmissions came on the M3 and 328 cars.
                            Eric
                            85 325e M50 and auto to manual transmission conversion...

Comment

Hi guys, this is my 1st post, i was pointed this way to findout about cruise control and found this lol

Can you get this straight in my head on the conversion as after reading the thread im a bit confused but also a bit enlightened...

I have a 316i auto (same as the 318i auto) and am looking at an M50 swap (chassis upgrades are sorted or in the pipeline)

I'll need

1 x M50 motor and box and loom/ecu/exhaust mannifold (from an e34 is best?)
                              1 x M50 box shifting mechanism (how does it need modding?)
                              1 x the front part of the e36 propshaft combined with the rear of my auto one? or was it the whole of my auto one
                              1 x Set of e36 engine mounts? (2 mounts isnt it?)
                              What gearbox mount it used?
                              1 x 3.25 or lower LSD

How is the e36/e34 exhaust manifold modded to fit?
                              Is there anything else required?
                              What are my option re: the rad and fan if i didnt want to run the clutch setup?

Also is it possible to use either the e30 or e36 cruise control with this conversion?
                              ///M Inside

Comment

Originally posted by Jhonno
                                Hi guys, this is my 1st post, i was pointed this way to findout about cruise control and found this lol

Can you get this straight in my head on the conversion as after reading the thread im a bit confused but also a bit enlightened...

I have a 316i auto (same as the 318i auto) and am looking at an M50 swap (chassis upgrades are sorted or in the pipeline)

I'll need

1 x M50 motor and box and loom/ecu/exhaust mannifold (from an e34 is best?)
                                1 x M50 box shifting mechanism (how does it need modding?)
                                1 x the front part of the e36 propshaft combined with the rear of my auto one? or was it the whole of my auto one
                                1 x Set of e36 engine mounts? (2 mounts isnt it?)
                                What gearbox mount it used?
                                1 x 3.25 or lower LSD

How is the e36/e34 exhaust manifold modded to fit?
                                Is there anything else required?
                                What are my option re: the rad and fan if i didnt want to run the clutch setup?

Also is it possible to use either the e30 or e36 cruise control with this conversion?
                                You will want to use e28 5 series motor mounts, either the 535 or M5 ones.
                                If you use the e36 transmission, you will use the e30 transmission mount brace.

If you ditch the AC, as I did, you can wire up the aux fan to a switch and hollow out the AC condensor to allow for more air flow. I have this setup and have had no problems keeping the engine cool, even in 80 degree weather w/ stop and go traffic.
                                E30 cruise control will hook right up, but you may want the space for an air filter. (I did)
                                '91 318is
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X