Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mjweimer
    replied
    Originally posted by dylhaus View Post
    I think I might've lucked out with the flywheel I bought. It's the E21 323i lightweight M20 flywheel 11221264517 that is all ready missing the ring on the back that the normal M20 flywheel has (which I assume is the part that needs to be machined down in the first place since the back is nearly flush with the ring gear). We'll see if the starter on the ix M20 will work I guess. Anyone know if I need to get a euro 323i starter to match that flywheel?

If my memory is correct, the E21 and E30 M20 flywheels have the same ring gear tooth count/profile. The E30 starter is half the weight and smaller than the E21 starter so several folks have done that swap as an upgrade when rebuilding their engine. I think you are good to go.

Leave a comment:

• dylhaus
    replied
    I think I might've lucked out with the flywheel I bought. It's the E21 323i lightweight M20 flywheel 11221264517 that is all ready missing the ring on the back that the normal M20 flywheel has (which I assume is the part that needs to be machined down in the first place since the back is nearly flush with the ring gear). We'll see if the starter on the ix M20 will work I guess. Anyone know if I need to get a euro 323i starter to match that flywheel?

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    I'd say if you're already paying for the bulk of the setup/balance work, you may as well get the thing lightened.

Leave a comment:

• dylhaus
    replied
    In regards to using the single mass m20 flywheel with the G260 trans on a S50 swap, when shaving it down, is it best to just shave down the area hitting the rear main seal bolts, or should I just take down the whole back side a few mms and re balance?

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied
    Originally posted by chilone View Post
    Hello everyone. My first post! I'm sorry if this has been covered bet there's SO much to sift through. My daughter and I are doing a M50 swap in a 1991 318is with a G240 gearbox in it. I see a lot of talk about G260s but can we use the G240?

Thanks.

first response:
    http://​​​​​​​https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forum/e30-technical-forums/24v-engine-swaps/m50-52-s50-52/215116-m50-with-a-g240

Leave a comment:

• chilone
    replied
    Hello everyone. My first post! I'm sorry if this has been covered bet there's SO much to sift through. My daughter and I are doing a M50 swap in a 1991 318is with a G240 gearbox in it. I see a lot of talk about G260s but can we use the G240?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• e30strokr
    replied
    so I go a SETA 88 325 (e?) with G260 transmission which I believe has the dual mass FW.... is it safe to use or should I be looking into getting a 325I Flywheel?

Leave a comment:

• fastestbox
    replied
    Anyone have any experience with fitting a Z3 exhaust manifold on an e30?

Leave a comment:

• 968Reckless
    replied
    Originally posted by Panici View Post
    Amazing, thank you!

Parts list would be great for reference.

Absolutely necessary to shave down the m20 single mass flywheel? What happens if you skip this?

Mock everything up and you will see the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• schmidty
    replied
    Yeah, it won't fit if you don't. At least not when using the g260

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• amcp
    replied
    I believe the flywheel rubs the block if you dont.

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    Originally posted by bradmer View Post
    Below is from the swap notes I have culled from r3v 24v swap posters who were gracious enough to post their experiences. Unfortunately I did not save the posters information for credit where it is due.
    Amazing, thank you!

Originally posted by schmidty View Post
    Also had a machine shop shave down the m20 single mass flywheel. I'd have to look up how much they shaved off.
    Clutch and TOB were both M20 parts as well as most of the other components needed. I can get you my parts list if you want as I also went in and refreshed some of the transmission components.
    Parts list would be great for reference.

Absolutely necessary to shave down the m20 single mass flywheel? What happens if you skip this?

Leave a comment:

• schmidty
    replied
    Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
    Just an FYI on the FPR, The early model e39 528i cars came with an fpr on the fuel rail like the m50 motors. I just got one and will need to install it on mine. I am obd1 and wish it was obd2.
    Honestly, right now I'm looking for the quickest easiest way to get it running and I figure an external FPR would be easier than installing a new fuel rail.... but maybe I'm wrong...

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied
    Just an FYI on the FPR, The early model e39 528i cars came with an fpr on the fuel rail like the m50 motors. I just got one and will need to install it on mine. I am obd1 and wish it was obd2.

Leave a comment:

• schmidty
    replied
    Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
    Did you stay OBD2? What are you doing for the FPR if you went OBD1? (Fuel Pressure Regulator)
    I am staying OBDII... Still have a lot to figure out on the fuel and cooling side if things.
    I'll probably be running some sort of external FPR.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X