Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no you can leave the pedal in, I did. But it does make it easier to remove the booster w/out pedals up there.
    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

oh.. the pin lock that holds brake pedal to the fork. You kind of spread it apart a little with a screwdriver and push it off the pin. it's hard to explain.... but look at it with the light and rotate it around and you'll figure it out

Here is my horrible drawing representation of what that locking tab looks like. See attached.
      Attached Files

Comment

you the man, ill giver a shot. i gotta start my thread on here, then you guys can follow.

Comment

next question, why do i need the overflow tank for the rad from the e30, why cant i use the e36 overflow, that attached to the rad?

Comment

I'm not sure if the one that is attached to the rad. on e36 has the output for the hose that goes to engine head like the one from e30.

Comment

Originally posted by windsor318is View Post
              next question, why do i need the overflow tank for the rad from the e30, why cant i use the e36 overflow, that attached to the rad?
              You don't. You can use the E36 radiator with the attached reservoir/overflow tank.

Comment

quick question on a swap...

Im looking at an m3 e 36 engine from an automatic car.....to be swapped into my manual e 30 325i. Does this pose any addtl issues?......... I was assuming/hoping it was no issues whatsoever.

thanks to all.........
                I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

No issues. You just need to install a pilot bearing into the crank. My engine and DME were from an automatic car. There's some additional reassurance that the engine was never zinged from a light overrev, so it won't be waiting to drop a valve on you.

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

you have a 318is rite? just use the stock rad that came with yer m42, it has the overflow tank built in, so no need for an additional overflow tank.
                    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
                      you have a 318is rite? just use the stock rad that came with yer m42, it has the overflow tank built in, so no need for an additional overflow tank.
                      i love you, i didnt see anyone with that setup so i assumed i couldnt do that, now i dont need the ugly resouvoir tank! move shaving added to my list.

Comment

i love you, i didnt see anyone with that setup so i assumed i couldnt do that, now i dont need the ugly resouvoir tank! move shaving added to my list.
                        There are some but it's not a good idea, especially in our climate. It will only be sufficient for winter and summer highway driving.

Comment

sure? even with the 80 degree t stat and fan delete? im going to try anyways, even though i do have the e36 one lieing around. i dont want that gay container

Comment

Ha, because I'm in La I didn't even think of using a rad with a built in expansion tank. I went big and got the S54 MZ3 triple core and just got a new e30 expansion tank.
                            My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                            There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

i hate canada... hang on there, l.a. is just as hot as here, why wouldnt i be able to run the 318 rad?

Comment

Just run the M42 radiator and if your temps run hot, install a larger radiator.

An nice, high volume electric fan will help the M42 radiator significantly. I don't think a 16" one will fit on the M42 radiator, so go with a 14".

Comment

Working...
                                X