Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The comprehensive DOHC engine swap thread.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Addissimo
    I cracked open my engine crate the other day, to find out it didnt include the AFM... What should I do? Its an M50, I have some m3 cams to put in it, some underdrive pullies, s52 manifold, and a conforti chip. Is there any difference between the m50 and the s50 afm? Would my car realize and power difference between the m50 and the m60 afm?

Do you guys think I'll need bigger injectors for my cams? Know if there is a difference between the m50 conforti chip, and the m50 with m3 cams chip?
    If you have green tops (m50b25 and m50b30) these are more than enough even with M3 camshafts. M50 HFM is same as M50B32 HFM.

Be a real hero and run a Euro HFM with custom programming for your M50 with M3 cams. You will make lots of power.

Comment

So they are SS, well that is great.

I just need to get mine running better, is there any place to order a set of vacuum hoses, seems like none of the import part places have a listing for each individual one. Also what is a cost efective upgrade for the MAF? I am just using the 94 m50 maf, also I think I have been running rich since I put the engine in, cannot keep my SS muffler's tips clean.

Right now I am fighting the damn intake temp sensor, waiting on it to come in, the thing will not run until it is up to temp.

Also are any of you using a clutch fan? I posted that you can use the e30 fan, as per ORCA, but after comparing the e36 adn e30 fans they seem to have the same profile, and I did not want to buy a new clutch and have it not fit. I really want to run an electric fan, though they are a little loud, but how do you wire that?

Comment

Many of the E36s guys here run with no fans at all. I will be running a smaller puller fan setup with dual fans. It may not be as effective as the bigass fan but small duals with curved blades will be quiet and give plenty of room to the engine.

I also have the option of using my aux fan whenever I want just by pushing the AC button since I dont have AC installed.
        Im now E30less.
        sigpic

Comment

I think I wired the green/violet wire formt eh e30 side to the incorrect e36 pin so my HVAC system will not work. this guy looked it up in his wiring diagram and said pin #7( I think) of a plug under tha dash was the HVAC power supply, it turned out to be that same green/violet wire that was supposidly for the fuel pump.

Comment

so does the car only run when the AC is turned on? :?

I just didnt want to dick with it since I wont need AC for a while and who knows what my intentions for this car will be in the spring. If need be I can put all that crap in then.
            Im now E30less.
            sigpic

Comment

well i unplugged the 12 pin plug under the dash and the engine still ran, so I guess the fuel pump is controlled elsewhere and the HVAC system is powered through the green/violet wire, which btw is in the c-101.

Comment

also I am not risking running without a fan. Georgia can get to 100 in the summer.

I suppose though tht the aux fan would do well, I used a lower temp thermostat and I am gonna put the Redline in after winter, it also gets cold here

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
                  I also have the option of using my aux fan whenever I want just by pushing the AC button since I dont have AC installed.
                  That is what I have been doing for a couple of years now too. I tried to figure out which wires to unplug from the switch to make the car not idle higher, and so the fan doesn't blow, but no luck.
                  -Brandon
                  '86 325es S50
                  '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                  '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                  '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                  S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Something just came to my head... I thought i was being all clever by buying an e34 engine, but i just came to realize, are the wiring harnesses the same? I sure hope so.

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
                    On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
                    BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

I ran my supercharged M3 without a clutch fan and I had zero issues. I also installed a spal fan just in case.

I have done the same on my E30. I have a Spal pusher fan that I can control via a switch inside the car. Because I am running just over 10 quarts of oil, its going to take a little longer to get up to temp and I dont want that fan pushing air across my oil cooler.
                      Originally posted by Simon S
                      When a dream is a dream for too long - it becomes a fantasy..

Comment

I guess alll you guess changed the second temp sensor so the temp guage will read correctly. I just pulled one of a m20, it worked for a while, but I guess it has gone bad, any one know the part number? or have a temp guage for sale?

Comment

Something just came to my head... I thought i was being all clever by buying an e34 engine, but i just came to realize, are the wiring harnesses the same? I sure hope so.
                          Actually, I'm pretty sure that you need the e36 harness. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong though. You also need the e36 engine mount brackets.

By the way guys, I just got a user name for bmwcenternet.com through my school, so I can get wiring diagrams for any harness or plug in any car. If anybody wants some, let me know.
                          '91 318is
                          sigpic

Comment

Why are you thinking that? Just curious what you're basing it off.

Could you hook me up with an e34 m50 diagram, along with an e36 so i can compare?

Thanks,
                            Addis

BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

You need two tranny mounts from a 320i right? I'm on bma and they say the 320i only needs one mount... Strange.

BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

You need to tranny mounts from a 320i right? I'm on bma and they say the 320i only needs one mount... Strange.
                                E21 320is only had ONE transmission mount. There are many different mount combinations you can come up with. I changed my setup 3 times and finalyl decided on a stock E30 mount and a early 6 series mount with a spacer.

Comment

Working...
                                X