iX booster rubs... big deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iX booster rubs... big deal?

So I'm getting to the point where I just don't give a shit. I thought it was my OBDI midpipes on OBDII headers that were torquing my engine over, and they were (because the geometry doesn't line up with the combination, the cats hang on the driver's side) but not that much. The shifter is now usable again but the booster is still touching the manifold. I spent all evening last night screwing aruond with it, jacking up one side, shoving a spacer under to see what it would take. I'd basically need to have like another 1/4-3/8" on the driver's side to get daylight. I already have 1/4" on each side. I could just lose the 1/4 on the passenger, since I've given up on trying to make the E36 midpipes to work and getting a custom from headers to catback.

But do I need to? What's the worst that can happen? I mean even if I make a little bit of daylight between them, I'm sure they will still touch under some conditions (like hard cornering or throttle-off twist). The booster has a little bit of rubber coating on that rim that touches, I'm really tempted to just leave it as is...

did you file down the fins on the manifold yet?

Comment

BigD: that's the way mine is. I've got a 1/4" on either side and the iX booster still rubs. A lot of people have mentioned slotting the holes the booster bolts through and moving it down/over to get the clearance. I haven't done anything to mine yet.
      My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
      There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh jass View Post
        did you file down the fins on the manifold yet?
        Yeah, I thought I did all of my homework, I did all things like that pre-emptively (made spacers, shaved down the manifold), still have this...

Originally posted by PiercedE30
        BigD: that's the way mine is. I've got a 1/4" on either side and the iX booster still rubs. A lot of people have mentioned slotting the holes the booster bolts through and moving it down/over to get the clearance. I haven't done anything to mine yet.
        I've heard of that too but one I need to have the car ready... well now but must be ready by August, and I barely have time to finish what's left (install the electric fan, clean up some wiring, change brake lines). The other is that I don't like that solution either - how do you move the pedal over too? It's not exactly a flexible link and there's a lot of leverage force being passed down.

Are you driving it around like this? Have you inspected the manifold if so, is there any damage you can see?

Comment

Yea, I've been driving it with it rubbing for the past few months. I've got about 2000 miles on everything. I'm still working out other little issues and haven't had a chance to do anything about it. I've had to work on exhaust, pilot bearing issues, etc. that have just been in the way of me taking care of the booster/manifold issue.
          My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
          There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
            Yea, I've been driving it with it rubbing for the past few months. I've got about 2000 miles on everything. I'm still working out other little issues and haven't had a chance to do anything about it. I've had to work on exhaust, pilot bearing issues, etc. that have just been in the way of me taking care of the booster/manifold issue.
            Right on, that's enough info for me, I'll just leave it. I don't really see it cracking the manifold or damaging the booster (the part that rubs is a huge rib anyway [on the booster]).

EDIT: I think I'll actually try the spacer anyway... since I'm getting a full custom exhaust anyway, I'll first try yanking out the exhaust side spacer...
            Last edited by BigD; 06-04-2008, 11:05 AM.

Comment

I haven't had any problems with mine rubbing and I have the same manifold you do. I just put spacers under both motor mounts. The engine cover rests on my blower motor cover but thats only because I didn't ever shave that down. But otherwise, no problems!
              Max

Comment

I think people should stop recommending the ix booster. I used it first and had no clearance with the obd1 intake. Plus the remote reservoir setup is sketchy.
                It really bothered me, because it creates alot of vibration in the vehicle, and in the brake pedal. It also made an anoying noise when starting.

I ripped out that damn ix booster a few months back, and swapped in a 944 booster. Plenty of clearance, and no need for a ghetto remote res. Vibrations are gone, and pedal feel and effort is fine.

BAN the ix booster!

Comment

Originally posted by DaN View Post
                  I think people should stop recommending the ix booster. I used it first and had no clearance with the obd1 intake. Plus the remote reservoir setup is sketchy.
                  It really bothered me, because it creates alot of vibration in the vehicle, and in the brake pedal. It also made an anoying noise when starting.

I ripped out that damn ix booster a few months back, and swapped in a 944 booster. Plenty of clearance, and no need for a ghetto remote res. Vibrations are gone, and pedal feel and effort is fine.

BAN the ix booster!
                  Agreed. Hopefully the manifold survives this year with a spacer and then I'll replace it with a 944 in the winter.

Comment

944/924 booster is a great solution and I don't understand why people continue to use the E21, or for the reasons listed above, the iX booster.

That being said, if you are willing to accept the occasional vibration, just leave it as is.

Comment

So...any more info on what years 944 boosters work? Thanks!

Comment

All the 944 boosters work. They have the same thread pitch and firewall bolt spacing as the E30 boosters, but the shaft is longer. One swipe with a cutoff wheel and you are ready to go.

Comment

i have no rubbing issues at all with my IX booster, but i mounted my booster straight to the firewall without the spacer.
                          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

all years work for sure? (944 booster)

what year is yours?
                            87 OBDII 328is

Comment

Originally posted by Mike B. View Post
                              All the 944 boosters work. They have the same thread pitch and firewall bolt spacing as the E30 boosters, but the shaft is longer. One swipe with a cutoff wheel and you are ready to go.
                              i dont recall, but do the stock e30 MC bolt up to the 944 booster?
                              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X