How to check lifters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to check lifters?

I have 24 lifters... most are really firm and a few are springy; they move down a few mm when I push on them and then spring back up. How can I tell if a lifter is bad or just doesn't have any oil and will be fine in the car?

Seriously, does anyone know if you can check a bad lifter from a good one without them in the car?

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
      Seriously, does anyone know if you can check a bad lifter from a good one without them in the car?
      If I remember from workin on hotrods, the hydraulic ones won't rebound and have issues like that if they are bad.
      For how to install them correctly, check this site, and its under tech tips.Auburn Auto Machine
      That's how I do it, the owner's a friend of the family.

Comment

Bump on an old thread, because I'll be swapping cams in a few weeks.

While the cams are out, I'd like to check/clean/replace my lifters.

Can they be disassembled?

Comment

What cams are you installing? S50's or aftermarket? If youre putting in an aftermarket hot cam, look into gettin some solid lifters if you have the money.

As for hydraulic lifters, they should not be able to compress easily unless they are new or unoiled. The oil forms a cushion between the cylinder wall and lifter piston. It's like a strut or shock, if it compresses easily, it may be going bad. It's honestly hard to say considering the variation in orifice sizes between different engines. Some sets are softer and some are firmer than others. I guess the best way to check them is to oil them up nicely, then give each one consistent pressure to see if they have the same amount of resistance and travel.
          Last edited by e46s54dr; 12-23-2010, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X