so my car wont start.. but wait!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so my car wont start.. but wait!

noooo not another one of those damn threads!

i know theres a bunch of nostart threads on here, but mines unique..

car: 1991 318is
    swap: 92' m50 nv w/ getrag 240 and m20 machined flywheel/clutch

so heres the deal, it works. the swap was successful and i can drive my car just about anywhere. BUT it seems like theres a ghost haunting me. when my car sits for a few minutes, it wont start up. the starter clicks but it wont crank. if i push start the car itll start right up. once it starts and i shut it down, itll start up as many times as i want after that; EXCEPT if it sits for a while. then ill have to push start it to get it started again. i have a red top optima battery with 800cca. ive charged it and have even tried jump starting the car, but the only thing that gets it running is a push start. im soo frustrated.. wtf!!!!!!
    1991 318is nv m50 : brilliantrot

Does the starter engage the engine when it isn't starting?
    Byron
    Leichtbau

Comment

no. when it wont start, it clicks but it wont crank! after the car is driven, i can start it 5 times in a row if i want but after a few minutes, it wont crank!

Comment

sounds like a bum battery to me... but you say you've checked that....

Comment

deff check the battery and connections after that...........

I had a similar issue with a friends Mr2 and my Supra after alot of searching for electrical issues/bugs we both solved the problem with a new starter the soleniod was buggin. Your push start confirms the soleniod is on its way out thats my guess.

If it makes a "cccc-click noise" (kinda like when you have a dead batt) this doesn't meen the soleniod is strong enough to kick the starter so don't let someone tell you "if it clicks its good".

my
          sigpic

Comment

oh yea neglected to mention, brand new oem m20 bosch starter straight from bma. still could be a bum starter but i think its something else..

i was thinkin the battery as well, but i charged it.. ill buy a new one tomorrow and see what happens.

Comment

Flat spot in the starter? I had an 02 that would do that once and awhile, rock the car when it happens in gear and then it would start. Who knows why but... maybe it got the starter to move just a bit and get it off the flat spot.
              www.classicdaily.net
              1970 m42 swapped 2002
              1985 LS1/T56 Swapped e28 (557e)

www.blunttech.com - For all your parts needs

Follow me on Instagram for constant build updates @classicdaily
              https://www.facebook.com/ClassicDailyLLC

Comment

There are only so many things it could be...hmmmmm are there any other symptoms?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jakeb View Post
                  Flat spot in the starter? I had an 02 that would do that once and awhile, rock the car when it happens in gear and then it would start. Who knows why but... maybe it got the starter to move just a bit and get it off the flat spot.
                  I agree, a "burnt" or "flat" spot on the starter windings could cause it to have an intermittant cranking issue.
                  1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

optima batterys are crap. super crap. uber crap. also they cannot be charged like normal batteries without being damaged. i went through 3 redtops in the course of 2yrs in my e30. my interstate battery however, sat for 6 months, then started rite up, no problems in 2yrs.
                    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

you try a new battery yet?

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
                        optima batterys are crap. super crap. uber crap. also they cannot be charged like normal batteries without being damaged. i went through 3 redtops in the course of 2yrs in my e30. my interstate battery however, sat for 6 months, then started rite up, no problems in 2yrs.
                        shrug, I've had my optima for two years now, no problems at all
                        R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Get is started and drive it to an Advance Auto... they will test the battery for free.
                          1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

My money is on the starter bendix. It's getting hot and expanding which keeps the solenoid from engaging it.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                              My money is on the starter bendix. It's getting hot and expanding which keeps the solenoid from engaging it.

It will not start when cold. Not a hot start issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X