I can has M50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can has M50?

After sitting around lurking and searching the forum for over a year I have begun my own M50 swap. I have an 86 325es. It is a great car. It is far from being stock. For the interior I have a coconut can-o-scent air freshener, and the sound system I installed is a Blaupunkt set up. Blaupunkt head unit, speakers, and amps, I have an Infinity Subwoofer though; I bought it from a kid I worked with. I think he used the money to buy drugs. I tinted the windows and blacked out the chrome, I put on Zender side skirts and some super cool mud flaps I got at Bi-mart for $10.
    For the suspension I have H&R Sports with Bilstein Sports, IE race adjustable camber plates, IE front strut brace, IE adjustable sway bars front and rear, IE rear camber & toe kits, M3 offset CABs and IE rear reinforced urethane strut mounts, running on 15” Zender Challenge rims with Falken Azenis RT 615 tyres.
    Engine and drive train are closer to stock, I have an eBay short shift lever Ireland ceramic coated headers, cat delete and an “I” dual pipe exhaust.
    Another piece of flair is my skid plate I made out of a road sign. It buts up against the back of the air dam and goes all the way back to the front cross member, Left to right it covers everything between the control arms. It is quiet a nice little addition to the car. I am no longer worried when I hit something in the road; I know it is just the skid plate hitting and not my oil pan. I don’t have a ton of ground clearance with it though. Being low to the ground isn’t all bad though, on multiple occasions I have used my car to plow the driveway (or city streets) when our little tractor and plow got stuck. With some Bridgestone Blizzaks WS-50’s and the es’s LSD I can get most anywhere I want to in the snow.
    The M20B27 engine is nice and all but the valves can be a little ticky, the redline a little to low, and the vacuum leaks a little to frequent sometimes. Since I have modified most everything else on the car it only seems right that I modify the engine. I considered some form of M20 engine build or standalone for the M20, I also looked into an M30 swap but neither of those seemed really economical. The M50 swap seems the better option. It is a higher output engine with slightly newer and better technology than an M20. Plus it just looks really pretty in an E30 engine bay.
    Currently I am a Graduating Senior at Walla Walla University. In June I will graduate with a Bachelors degree in Automotive Technology and a Minor in Business. I needed a senior project that showed I learned something during my time spent at the University so I chose this M50 swap.
    With all of that junk said, please sit tight and hold on to your butts. This is the story of my M50 swap.

- Keanan

The M20 engine
    Last edited by Keanan; 01-17-2009, 09:48 AM. Reason: I juat wanted to ad my name at the bottom. I forgot to earlier.

I decided to go with a non vanos M50 from a 92 525i. Yes I know a bunch of people will say I should wait and put in some form of turbocharged S52 or nitrous powered LS1 or maybe even a jet engine. I have considered those options also and they seem like they might be a lot of fun but my penis is big enough that I can drive around in a car with less than 2,000 hp and still feel like a man. Plus what would I do with an insanely bat shit fast car? I guess I could get to the next stop light sooner, so I can sit and wait longer. All I am looking for is something a bit faster than the M20, I think this M50 will work well for me.
    I like some of the technology of the M50, sequential fuel injection and 24 valves will be good. I am hoping for a mild gain in fuel economy. Currently I can get 27 MPG on the highway at 60-70 MPH with the M20B27. It would be nice to get close to 30+ MPG with the M50. I won’t get my hopes up to much though.
    Anyway, on to the project: After getting the 525 home I drove it around for a day or so then decided to take the engine out. It took a little bit to yank the transmission out but it fell out easy enough. This engine had a few leaks so everything is really dirty. I hope that some day BMW invents a leakless engine; things will be a lot cleaner then.
    I didn’t have time to get the engine out on the first evening of work so it had to come out on the second evening. It took longer to clean up the tools and spilled fluid than it took to get the engine out of the car.

Day three and four were spent taking the engine apart and cleaning up parts. Things are really dirty! It would be easier to just not clean anything, but it would really bug me. And I would always wish I cleaned things up. Plus if I clean it all up then I seal this engine well things should stay pretty clean for a while. I have it all torn down and pistons out. I will measure the block, crankshaft and pistons for wear then order parts. I am not planning on boring it out or stoking this. I am just looking to return it to stock specs with a few minor adjustments. I cleaned up the A/C Compressor, before it was dirty and ugly. Now it looks like it is brand new. I pulled apart the power steering pump also. It was bad, but now it to looks new.

I'll get some more pictures up soon.

Comment

beautiful car, nice going.

Comment

Non-Vanos is good for turbo ;)

Comment

Hey man, great posts.

The "mod" list is fucking hilarious.

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

nice, its worth the work just to have a more modern motor.

Comment

Thanks for posting your experience thus far. I like reading these build threads!

That engine stand looks pretty sweet. Built in drip pan, nice wide base, heck you might be able to turn the engine upside down and not have to worry about it tipping over!

Originally posted by whysimon
              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                Non-Vanos is good for turbo ;)

Comment

ya bro teh rods are bEefy

Originally posted by whysimon
                  WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Turbocharging is an option later down the road. Turboing it would be fun but I think I will wait until I have enough money that I can do a well planned turbo and standalone system for it.

- Keanan

Comment

Can you tell us a little bit more about how your cleaning process? I too recently pulled a motor and it is extremely greasy. I few people gave me suggestions, but I am always open to more. With it being 0 and below outside the project is on hold anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                        ya bro teh rods are bEefy
                        lol

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
                        You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

Have I been misinformed?

Comment

Originally posted by wojtek79 View Post
                            Can you tell us a little bit more about how your cleaning process? I too recently pulled a motor and it is extremely greasy. I few people gave me suggestions, but I am always open to more. With it being 0 and below outside the project is on hold anyways.

To clean everything, I have been using the parts cleaner in the Automotive department shop. It is a cleaning system that uses these little things called OZZYS. I guess these little OZZY guys just eat oil and stuff and clean your parts. I was looking on their website and it says the OZZYS can eat animal fat, fifth wheel grease, ink/toner, transmission fluid, and even asphalt. Also they said that if you aren't going to be using your parts cleaner for a while to pour in some straight oil so the little OZZY guys have something to eat and they don't starve.
                            As far as I am concerned the junk works well. It removes grease and dirt easily, it doesn't have a strong chemical smell, it isn't hard on your skin if you get it on you and it is warm because the OZZYS eat better when they are warm. The stuff looks like root beer or coca cola. The OZZYS are small, not big like maggots or worms.
                            I would check at you local NAPA and see if they have it, if not contact the company and they can tell you where to get it. It is reusable too, so you can use it to clean a bunch of stuff. http://www.chemfree.com/index.html

If I didn't have that I would be using gasoline or brake parts cleaner with a small paint bush and oil drain pan to clean my stuff.

This is a picture of the cleaner:

If you look you can see a funny hippopotamus looking thing on the front, I think that is an OZZY guy.

- Keanan

Comment

For some reason I keep trying to update but it doesn't work, and I spend 20 minutes typing up all this stuff and including pictures only to have it disappear into the internet abyss. I will make this one short and tomorrow I will make a longer one.

This is just pictures. In my down time waiting for parts at the machine shop I went to Palouse falls and got some super cool ice side skirts. We also saw a mini van in a ditch, where it belongs.
                              Sunday we had a good time snowboarding.
                              I got the parts back from the machine shop today so tomorrow I will post more pictures of engine stuff.

Retarded icicles on a friends 4Runner

It looks small but it is really a 200 foot tall waterfall

Check back for more pictures and an update tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X