Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

!!HELP!! AUX Manual Override Cabin Switch

Hey guys,

I did a bit of searching but couldn't find anything appropriate.

As the tittle says i want to make a manual high speed override switch for my AUX fan for me E30 m50 setup. Currently running no fan and no AC. The AUX fan does work and comes on around 78C low speed. Now i live in melbourne australia and no doubt you have heard about the terrible bushfires we have had here with tempratures getting up around 46C 115F. Considering the m50 was only installed in the winter last year it has never really experienced high temperatures like this. So for piece of mind i would like to either use the snow flake button or perhaps put in a missile style switch i can hide somewhere but still looks cool to engage the high speed function on the AUX. Anyone have any ideas. Cheers, Ryan!

do you have a late car?

there is a thermoswitch on the radiator - the plug has 3 wires, on the passenger side (your drivers side I guess). two grounds, one power. One ground is for the low speed, the other for the high speed. Jump them with a peice of wire and the fan will come on. you could wire up a switch or something if you wanted.. or, get a low-temp thermoswitch (from an E36, plugs right into the E30 harness) and wire it so only the high-speed turns on (basically switch the grounds on the plug). It will come on automatically once it reaches the threshold (80/88c). the stock thermoswitch is 90/99c.

the early car has something similar only there are two seperate switches.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I grabbed the 2 wires mentioned above and ran them to the foglight switch, which I had not been using.

The car I did in james' front yard after the picnic, I used the stupid window switch kill button.

Easy stuff, man. Get on it!

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

So i should run two wires from the rad into the cabin. When i flick the switch on it is effectively just jumping the two grounds? Cheers, Ryan

Comment

you just need to find the plug from the high speed thermoswitch and wire a switch to the interior then. it's pretty easy stuff. stay away from the fires :)
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I just wired it to my AUX fan wiring, I know you said no A/C but if you had A/C and it was taken out but the wiring is still there you can wire it to the stock fan wiring and it will turn on when you hit the A/C button.
            1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Working...
            X