No announcement yet.

Mounting IX booster right to firewall and master cylinder question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just thread it once in a plus 1 size and then thread it with the final size just as you would with the e21 booster

Comment

I did mine at home. But I cut off the smaller top section and threaded the lower half to m12x1.5 an drilled and threaded the fork to the same. Works great.

If you want to do it the way I did mine I will rent you the die and tap.

As far as the booster that people had questions of.

Take your spacer plate and cut out tubular center section so you have the 2 stud side and the 4 stud side with nothing in between. Then you grind down the studs ( 2 side) and stud weld the first plate to the booster. Then you weld the 4 bolt section to the 2 bolt section that is on the booster. Voilà.

Be careful or you will ruin your booster. S
      Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
      Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
      Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

i took back the rethreader I rented from autozone, and asked them if they would rent out a tap and die set. They didn't.

BUT, turns out they are not ~$200 like I was told by somebody - they're only ~$20 and they had one last metric set left. It's downstairs waiting for me to get back to work!! :)

Comment

Nice. i ground down my on a grinder and then threaded it.

Comment

Originally posted by surebimmer View Post
            Nice. i ground down my on a grinder and then threaded it.
            My booster rod is in bad shape. Think I'm going to go the cut/weld route. Anybody feel that is a bad idea?

With the above suggestion of +1 size thread first, then 10mm thread - I tried it. Had to grind the rod a bit to get the 12mm on there. Thread it down (unfortunately the threading was a little lopsided)

Then tried to thread with the 10mm, and no bueno. Had to grind the 12mm threading just to get the 10 started. My cheap $20 tap/die set wasn't what it was cracked up to be and stripped, and now the rod threading is fubar'd at the bottom.

I cut the good thread off the top, hoping I can find someone tomorrow with a welder to cut 2 inches off the bottom half and weld my good 10mm threads on there.

I could very well be driving my car right now had this booster not been an issue.

Comment

Well my booster decided life was too hard at the auto-x.
              Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

deamn decent damage you did there :p
                Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

It works great as a fruit basket now.
                  Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

reviving and old thread to ask if anyone is running the e32 booster with an iX or other MC? Anyone know if the e32 booster is any larger or smaller than the iX booster? My iX booster/iXMC just died and I'm trying to do something other than another iX booster.

Comment

Just so everyone knows, the e32 735i double booster system is NOT identical to the iX booster despite common opinion. The vacuum hole on the e32 is on the passenger side of the MC whereas it is on the driver side of the iX booster. Also, the metal mounting bracket for the iX is 6mm shorter than the cast aluminum bracket of the e32 which can make or brake really tight fitment issues.

Also, the e32's push rod is longer and has a different, longer clevis. They do bolt up the same other than the e32 sticking out a little further both into the brake petal and into the engine bay, and MCs are interchangeable. The mounting brackets are interchangeable but the e32 has a different breathing and rubber backing design so when swapping the iX bracket onto the e32 booster you must use the iX rubber boot.

Diameter and thickness of the booster itself is the same, just not the mounting bracket and push rod.

In order to fit the e32 booster in my e30 I had to swap the iX MC, metal mounting bracket, clevis, and dust shield rubber boot over. Not a big deal but you'll have to have an iX unit to strip part off of so you might as well use the iX booster. Mine was dead.

Comment

Second thread revival...

So if you mount the E32 setup without the firewall spacer, does the reservoir clear the intake boot or is a remote reservoir still needed?

If there's a reservoir which fits, has anyone got a part number for it please? (the huge-ass E32 reservoir doesn't fit with the intake boot)

Thanks

Comment

The iX master and reservoir will clear the intake boot with the booster mounted straight to the firewall.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
                          '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
                          '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
                          '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by übersteuern View Post
                            Second thread revival...

So if you mount the E32 setup without the firewall spacer, does the reservoir clear the intake boot or is a remote reservoir still needed?

If there's a reservoir which fits, has anyone got a part number for it please? (the huge-ass E32 reservoir doesn't fit with the intake boot)

Thanks
                            This is exactly what I have on my car. E32 booster, tapped and cut pushrod, no spacer, slotted firewall holes, mounted with 2 bolts. Clears the intake boot by a few mm, no real risk of it interfering.

Apparently the e34 540/530 remote mounted booster is the same diameter/depth, etc. as the 735 but the pushrod is already short enough as it doesn't use a spacer like the ix/7 series does. That's just what I've been told though, I haven't tried it out myself although the diagram on realoem seems to support it.
                            For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
                            Originally posted by mbonanni
                            I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

how much are you guys cutting off the pushrod? I got my iX booster without the spacer so I cant reference how much space I need to trim off. The pic only looks like an inch or so
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yeah about an inch.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X