E46 Clutch Slave Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 Clutch Slave Cylinder

I have a ZF 5 speed from an E36 328i and I made the mistake of trying to use an e36 slave cylinder in my swap only to find that there is no clearance to remove it or even tighten the line on it because of how tight the trans tunnel is. This is mainly because the e36 slave has the port for the clutch line sticking out of the side vs on the end like the e30 slave cylinder.

I noticed that the e46 slave cylinder seems to offer the most optimal position for the bleed screw and the clutch line port. Is there any reason I can't use the e46 slave cylinder along with the stock e30 master and ZF 5 speed?

E36 one fits. It's a bit of a bitch and I used a garagistic clutch line. I had to rock the motor back by dropping the transmission down. If the e46 one has the correct depth I don't know why you couldn't use it.

Comment

Thanks. I actually have the trans mount removed and the front subframe lowered on the bolts and I still can't get the e36 one out because the header on my engine touches the firewall when I lean the engine back (s54) but that's a completely separate issue.

I think I'll try the e46 one and hopefully installation and removal won't require tilting the engine and trans. I'll report back on it.

Comment

Quick update, I installed an E46 slave today and can confirm that fitment is much better than the E36 one. Depth and other key dimensions are the same. Still need to bleed the system but the bleed screw is definitely in a better spot as well.

Comment

Originally posted by R3VM3UP View Post
          Quick update, I installed an E46 slave today and can confirm that fitment is much better than the E36 one. Depth and other key dimensions are the same. Still need to bleed the system but the bleed screw is definitely in a better spot as well.
          nice , would you mind putting the part number?

Btw , you using the garagistic clutch line?

Comment

Part number is 21526785966. It looks like it's the same part for all manual E46s including the M3. I'm running it with a ZF 5 spd from an E36 328i, stock S54 flywheel and pressure plate, and an E36 m3 clutch disk.

I am using a new OEM rubber E30 clutch line with a custom bent piece of hard line that originally came from the e36 slave cylinder. I don't see why the garagistic line wouldn't work if it's long enough. It would probably be a cleaner solution than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by R3VM3UP View Post
              Part number is 21526785966. It looks like it's the same part for all manual E46s including the M3. I'm running it with a ZF 5 spd from an E36 328i, stock S54 flywheel and pressure plate, and an E36 m3 clutch disk.

I am using a new OEM rubber E30 clutch line with a custom bent piece of hard line that originally came from the e36 slave cylinder. I don't see why the garagistic line wouldn't work if it's long enough. It would probably be a cleaner solution than mine.
              Oh thank you very much ! i do have the same setup , m52b28 and zf 5 speed from the e36 328 .. but not sure what to use as of clutch and flywheel tho

Comment

There are plenty of clutch options that work, depends what your needs are. If your engine is stock then OEM E36 328i or M3 flywheel and clutch would be totally fine. There are other options such as aftermarket brands, LW flywheels, e34 M5, etc if you are looking for something different.

Comment

FYI for anyone reading this in the future, I drove the car recently and this seems to be working well. Here's the full setup.

S54
                  E46 M3 OE flywheel
                  E36 M3 Clutch
                  E46 M3 OE pressure plate
                  E36 M3 throw out bearing
                  ZF 5spd from E36 328i
                  E30 318is stock master cylinder
                  E46 slave cylinder

Comment

Working...
                  X