Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VANOS or tuning problem?

Hi all,

Trying to diagnose an issue I'm having with my S52 OBD2 swapped late model e30:
    • Fresh build 0 mile S52
    • M50 IM
    • 540i 3.5" TB
    • light weight flywheel
    • 24lb injectors
    • Riot Racing cams
    • Hacken TT canned tune (whatever that means)
    • Freshly rebuilt VANOS with Beisan seals
    Presenting with these issues:
    • Low on power below 3k rpm, big power surge above
    • Mostly steady idle but runs a bit rough
    • Progressive ticking between 1k-3k rpm
    Was in the car with my camera earlier today as it as warming up and also captured a video of some more weirdness. I don't think you can see it in the video, but the engine vibrates at exactly 2k rpm, not below or above. Also makes the popping sound at idle which can definitely be heard:

Thoughts? I plan on getting the car tuned as I've got a 3.5" HFM and piping I want to run to match the 540i TB and also want to account for the cams. Do you think my setup is just different enough that it's the tune making it act weird, or does it sound more like a VANOS issue?
    2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
    1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
    1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Unplug the VANOS actuator and note any changes. Sounds like the cam is stuck in the retarded position (which is default).

Who did the VANOS rebuild? Did you do the anti-rattle bearing race? Was it clearanced enough when installed? Did you test range of motion on the cam actuation after timing it? There's so many variables when it comes to VANOS.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I purchased the engine mostly built from another member, so I don't have knowledge of the build, just that it was built. I'll try unplugging the solenoid and see what happens.
      2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
      1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
      1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

Working...
      X