M52 Coolant Hose Routing - TB Bypass w/ Brown Temp Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M52 Coolant Hose Routing - TB Bypass w/ Brown Temp Switch

I apologize if this has been asked before, I've been searching for a while and couldn't find a whole lot.

I am swapping in an OBD1 converted M52 and I am currently trying to plan out my cooling system. I planned to use the OBD1 spider hose (#6 in the diagram below) but realized that I don't have a good solution for bypassing the throttle body coolant lines. My M52 head only has two holes on the side which are being used for the blue and brown temp sensors. Because of this, I can't simply loop the spider hose back to the head as most people do, since I don't have anywhere on the head for this to go (See #16 hose clamp for reference). Without deleting my heater core (and the spider hose entirely), what is the best way I can block off or loop the TB coolant hose? I'd like a proper solution, not just shoving a bolt in the hose or using a cap that'll crack in a few months.

Unfortunately, most of the info I can find related to this bypass is on another forum for the E36 where the brown temp sensor plug is not an issue.

If there is a way to keep the TB coolant lines and connect it somewhere else easily, I don't mind doing that too. I don't think throttle body icing would be impossible where I live.

Relevant diagram:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_1142

Any reason you don't want to use the metal coolant pipe? That way you don't need to buy a hose adapter and you can cut off/pinch/weld the TB coolant line on the pipe to delete
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
      Any reason you don't want to use the metal coolant pipe? That way you don't need to buy a hose adapter and you can cut off/pinch/weld the TB coolant line on the pipe to delete
      Yeah, the person who I bought the engine from already epoxied in one of the adapters to use the hose, so I don't have much of a choice there.

Comment

I think your best choice is to cut the tube shorter and block it off with some sort of plug & clamp.
        I don't know what size the TB heater line is, but you might be able to use a brass PEX plug from home depot or the like. At least with the brass versions, you shouldn't have to worry about it cracking.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Back in the day I cut it short and stuck bolts into it with some rtv.... worked fine. This time around I went the Hard Pipe route. In all seriousness google barb plugs and cut the tubing back and you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
            Back in the day I cut it short and stuck bolts into it with some rtv.... worked fine. This time around I went the Hard Pipe route. In all seriousness google barb plugs and cut the tubing back and you should be fine.
            This is what I was looking for, thank you!!

Comment

Working...
            X