MS41.2 Manual Swap Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS41.2 Manual Swap Tuning

Admittedly, this S52 is attached to an e36 - I wasn't quite sure where to post it here. e36 Forums and RomRaider have been quite useless.

I have a 1997 M3, which has recently undergone a manual conversion. In the quest to eliminate all related warning lights, I have recoded the majority of modules in the car (EWS, ASC, etc). However, the DME is proving to be an issue. I have attempted several methods to reprogram it including using DIS, WinKFP, and the MS41 Quickflash tool. Utilizing the stock DME, I was unable to complete a flash using either WinKFP or DIS. In DIS, cor example, I was met with an error of "clearing the control unit cannot be performed correctly."

This led me to using MS41 Quickflash. I began with a spare DME acquired from a 1997 528i. To my knowledge, a MS41.1 unit is able to be converted to MS41.2 simply by flashing it. I proceeded to flash this DME using a full read available on the RomRaider forum (flash is from a manual trans e36m). I was able to complete the full flash and then successfully pass an OBD emission test to register the car. However, it was fairly obvious that the car was down on power, along with losing air conditioning functionality. Assuming I would be able to correct at least the A/C issue with a modified partial flash, I did a partial read and corrected byte 4. Partial flash completed, I fired the car up to be greeted with no A/C again. Through a few tests, I found that the DME will not actually accept any changes I make to the tune. It also still scans as an MS41.1 from said e39.

Ideas/Input? Obviously I can just mail my DME off and have a manual transmission flash performed, but I would much rather accomplish this myself.
    IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Did you enable write access like this?

https://sites.google.com/site/openms...1/enable-write

If you did, then maybe there's a wiring issue somewhere.

if you don't get the car to the point that you can flash in-car, you could build a bench flasher with an M50/M52 DME connector + OBD2 connector and some sort of ~12V power supply (old computer PSU, xbox power supply, random power brick, etc. whatever you can find cheap at a thrift shop/ebay that puts out 12~14V)
    This is what I did from the start, but only because I was doing the ECU stuff before the swap was finished.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I did, without enabling write access I could not even read a partial.

That may prove to be an option. I've got some stuff laying around that I could use to build a bench flash adapter

Comment

I wonder if there is something wrong with the cable you have? Other than that I have no idea because it's really weird.
        There are some unflashable early ECUs but I think those were all on early MS41.0 cars? maybe I'm wrong?

Comment

Maybe? I've flashed other MS41 stuff with it before, but that's not to say that it couldn't have a problem now. You are correct on some of the very early MS41.0 stuff being unflashable.

Comment

Well I just tried writing to my ECU in my e30 and the first one appeared to write fine but might not've actually worked because my fuelling did not change. The second attempt got to 20% and then said "flashing comlete" then wouldn't start. Maybe the voltage is too low without a charger?

Comment

Interesting. I tried multiple attempts to change byte 4 from 48 to 38 - with exactly the same results. It seems I'm missing an OBD port, I'll have to hit up a junkyard this weekend to get stuff for a flash adapter. Bench flashing may well be the key

Comment

Working...
              X