No announcement yet.

Andrew's S54 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't hurt, but I'm sure you wouldn't keep driving with a low oil pressure light on like the dumbass who drove my car did. ;)
    Last edited by RobertK; 02-21-2012, 11:31 AM.

Comment

So clean, you made it look easy with this thread. Really great job. Enjoy the car and post up lots of videos!
      91' 318is - OBDI M52/ZF swap w/ S50 cams

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
        If I gave you a complete parts list then you wouldn't have any fun. :D
        I guess we should take down the 24v swap sticky:p
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
        VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
          If I gave you a complete parts list then you wouldn't have any fun. :D
          WORD. I agree :)
          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by gobuffs View Post
            Having done a Euro swap and an S54....the S54 is another order a magnitude in cost over any other swap if done right. The electronics that need to be addressed will cost at least $1500 and up.

I like the garage although doesn't it get cold in the winter?

Why is this?
            What necessary programming is needed for an S54 to run in an E30?
            It's already been established you don't HAVE to delete EWS...
            What else?
            Originally posted by TSI
            ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
            OEM+

Comment

It is because the reflash is fairly pricey, around $1200 at current exchange rates. A DBW accelerator pedal is around $100 new, and the various wiring components will run around $30++ depending on where and how you get your components, new or used, and the grade of wiring you choose.

Originally posted by whysimon
              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
                Why is this?
                What else?
                you know, people are willing to help.. but you need to do some basic research if you want to be taken seriously.

basically, if you have to ask... you know where I'm going with this.

you can get flashes for much less. any of you guys hear of Evolve? you get a flash cable and a tuned file for $999. and you can upgrade the tune later or transfer it to another car for under $100. for $3500 you also get a CF airbox. :p

I think that's a WAY better deal than $1500-$2000, to mail your DME somewhere, get a black-box tune from some random dude, and then be pretty much stuck with whatever you get.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

And a reflash is necessary because...?
                  Doesnt that delete EWS which has been established that is not necessary?
                  Or should I just continue reading and stop posting?
                  Originally posted by TSI
                  OEM+

Comment

keep reading. the computer systems on the E46 all talk to each other. so if you're removing the ECU from that environment, it's going to throw a lot of errors when it can't communicate with the other modules. Most likely it will go into limp mode.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      keep reading. the computer systems on the E46 all talk to each other. so if you're removing the ECU from that environment, it's going to throw a lot of errors when it can't communicate with the other modules. Most likely it will go into limp mode.
                      Well said, thank you :-D
                      Originally posted by TSI
                      OEM+

Comment

I didn't see a DSC delete from Evolve? Deleting post cat O2s, switching to "Alpha-N", US tuners have been doing that for a while.

I really dig their carbon airbox, though. It's inexpensive given the tooling, manufacturing costs, and market timing (towards the end of the S54 lifecycle).

Comment

they don't show it on the website, but I talked to them about it, they can do pretty much anything you want.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Never been a member here but I read and research everywhere. I'm doing S54 + E36 M3 and 99% certain to use MSS54 DME without expensive send-it-to-Germany-and-pray EWS delete tuning.

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
                            Why is this?
                            What else?
                            This combination keeps non-limp DME and ABS:
                            • DME, EWS and key, and instrument cluster from same E46 M3
                            • EWS reader "ring" (normally mounted inside ignition cylinder) with key attached near or inside the "ring"
                            • late model (9/02 or later) MK60 DSC/ABS unit - its easy to tell early from late, the late ones are on the driver's side under the master cylinder
                            • two brake pressure sensors - threaded into the E46 M3 master cylinder, but who says they have to be? MITE46 (previously E30MIT) tee'd them into the lines from the master cylinder to the DSC/ABS unit
                            • DSC sensor - combined yaw gyro and lateral accelerometer - mounted under driver's seat in E46 (and its location IS critical)
                            • This setup is used in a C Mod car which has been racing for four years.

If you install it like this (with no steering angle sensor) none of the DSC/traction control features work but the full 4 channel ABS works normally. If you install the steering angle sensor and wire a DSC pushbutton to the MK60 unit you can have fully functional E46 M3 DSC and ABS - but I don't know about you, I really don't want to have to turn off DSC every time...

(I cannot promise that the early MK20 DSC/ABS unit will or won't work - but I do know that the later MK60 unit will. The early MK20 unit will use standard E30/E36 wheel speed sensors, but requires that you obtain, mount, and wire a "precharge pump". The late MK60 unit requires no additional pump, but does require E46 wheel speed sensors).

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                            I didn't see a DSC delete from Evolve? Deleting post cat O2s, switching to "Alpha-N", US tuners have been doing that for a while.
                            Not installing the (or installing a faulty/broken) steering angle sensor gives two idiot lights and no DSC/traction control features, but retains full ABS function. Sounds like the easiest way to do it, unless having factory functionality of your dashboard "Brake" idiot light is important to you. (The second idiot light is the DSC one, which wouldn't really apply at that point).
                            Last edited by nucci; 02-23-2012, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              they don't show it on the website, but I talked to them about it, they can do pretty much anything you want.
                              Ah ok. It sounds like they have a fair bit of tuning expertise from reading threads about Evolve tunes, but not much info is on their website.

Originally posted by nucci View Post
                              Never been a member here but I read and research everywhere. I'm doing S54 + E36 M3 and 99% certain to use MSS54 DME without expensive send-it-to-Germany-and-pray EWS delete tuning.
                              Thanks for joining r3vlimited!

I think the collective "we" have known that you can move over most sensors to the E30 and enjoy no limp-mode codes. MITE46 documented his swap reasonably well. The piece of information that is new to me is that the steering angle sensor does not necessarily need to be there for the car not to go into limp-mode.

I am also guessing that a lack of a secondary air pump, leakage diagnosis pump, and evap canister solenoid won't cause the car to limp?

Comment

I think the collective "we" have known that you can move over most sensors to the E30 and enjoy no limp-mode codes. MITE46 documented his swap reasonably well. The piece of information that is new to me is that the steering angle sensor does not necessarily need to be there for the car not to go into limp-mode.
                                I got it corroborated by a second source - both having personal experience with this exact setup on tracked E46 M3s. (I was pretty excited too!) The DSC is definitely in some sort of error mode as it does not function at all. I wouldn't try to get more barebones with the non-functional DSC by deleting anything else though. If the DSC sensor is deleted or malfunctioning, some ABS functionality is removed, which has resulted in flat-spotted Hoosiers on track. So even with the steering angle sensor deleted, the DSC sensor should be installed, and in the factory location.
                                I am also guessing that a lack of a secondary air pump, leakage diagnosis pump, and evap canister solenoid won't cause the car to limp?
                                I know what my guess would be, but can't say for certain. I do know that when I was talking to Randy at Epic he mentioned that they often turn off all the unnecessary error code functions when they sell a tune. At least for me, the biggest appeal of going stock DME with a correctly wired OBD2 port is that I can now purchase remote tunes with USB-OBD2 install cables from Epic or Evolve.

Comment

Working...
                                X