No announcement yet.

Pedalpushers S54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work! Did you sdo the tuning yourself? Have you dyno'd it? What rev limit is it set to?

Have you driven a factory s54 powered car (e46 m3, z3/z4 mcoupe) with Vanos? If so, how does the on cam timing feel in comparison?

Have you driven an s50/2 swapped e30? How does your set-up compare in performance?

What gearing did you go with?

Car sounds awesome, and looks to haul ass!!!! :woowoo:

My s54 M3 should fire up today, so this is a nice motivational teaser! :D
    Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Looks clean and simple... Subd for more updates. I have a similar setup and I will be happy if it comes out as nice as yours. Did you mix & match driveshafts to use the E46 tranny or did you cut and weld to size. I have the E46 M3 one and I have been wondering what to use? Great Job!
      sigpic

Comment

Fuck me sideways.

Comment

I've been trying to do some research to this swap in my M3 as well I have a s50 in there and not too pleased with it.

one thing I've been dying to know about these swaps is did you convert the throttle to cable or kept the fly-by-wire???
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e30polak View Post
            Nice work! Did you sdo the tuning yourself? Have you dyno'd it? What rev limit is it set to?

Have you driven a factory s54 powered car (e46 m3, z3/z4 mcoupe) with Vanos? If so, how does the on cam timing feel in comparison?

Have you driven an s50/2 swapped e30? How does your set-up compare in performance?

I'd like to know all of these things as well.

Comment

Originally posted by pedalpusher View Post
              At this point I think getting the Vanos to work is above my skill level. I've followed hoveringuy's threads, and I don't think I'm yet up to the challenge with this S54. Also, I really wanted to keep it as simple as possible.
              I can understand that. at the moment, it's not quite PnP for the S54 yet. But, I'd hold onto that vanos unit, because sometime in the future it could be as simple as hooking up 4 wires and enabling a couple I/Os.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by e30polak View Post

Car sounds awesome, and looks to haul ass!!!! :woowoo:

My s54 M3 should fire up today, so this is a nice motivational teaser! :D
                I've done most all of the tuning. I had the dyno guys help with the timing - I needed their dyno for this. We only changed the numbers a little though. The full-throttle AFR's are nice and safe - they are around 12.4. I'd like to do a couple things before posting a dyno graph, but it did make 297rwhp on a Superflow. This type of dyno turns all four wheels when making a pull, so it does read a bit lower than a dynojet. I've got the limiter at 8300, but I don't take it past 8k.

Although I haven't driven a Vanos equipped car, I can tell that my car is definately down on low-end and midrange. All of my mods have contributed to this. Vanos delete, 2.5" dual exhaust, even my plenum box - all of these things cost torque. I knew this going in. The upside is this - it's going into a car that's 4-500 pounds lighter than the engine was in. Also, I do have the original 4.1 gear. The lighter car and the lower axle ratio help make up for the loss of torque.

I really like the character of the S14, and this setup retains that feeling. It just keeps pulling harder and harder the higher you twist it.

When I set the cams, I just used the BMW tool that puts them "straight up". I couldn't find any info as to what would be a better setting. The VAC vanos delete allows altering the cam timing, but VAC didn't have any suggestions and I am not ready to mess with it. At some point I might try dynoing different settings. I truly doubt the "straight up" setting just happens to be the best setting for power.

In a couple weeks our dragstrip will have a test-n-tune day. I'm planning on seeing what the car will do. I don't expect a great time, due to crappy tires and my driving, but I'm hoping to hit close to 110mph.

Thanks to all for the kind words and for not ragging on my car:)

Brian

Comment

Working...
                X