Castro Motorsport: S54 E30 M3 Exhaust Teaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Castro Motorsport: S54 E30 M3 Exhaust Teaser

My M3's amazing new exhaust custom built by Chris Castro of Castro Motorsport. Chris made a custom collector for the header for the front 3 cylinders to clear the front subframe. Downpipes were custom made to clear the front sway bar and the control arm lollipops.

Specs on the exhaust fully built by Castro Motorsport:

Modified eBay headers > dual 2.5" stainless steel mandrel bent down pipes > V-Band clamps > dual 2.5" SS piping continued > X-Pipe > dual 2.5" SS piping continued > Flo Pro 22" stainless steel, straight through muffler > V-band clamps > dual 2.5" SS piping continued > Active Autowerke Generation 3 e36 m3 muffler > dual 4" double walled, angle cut polished stainless steel tips

***DISCLAIMER:

THIS IS A SPARE E30 M3 REAR BUMPER, THE BUMPER WITH THE MATCHING VIN REMAINS AND WILL REMAIN UNTOUCHED.

THE BUMPER IS NOT NEAR FINISHED IN THESE PICTURES, AND IT WILL LOOK PROPER WHEN WE'RE DONE WITH IT.

I KEPT THE SPARE TIRE WELL FOR RESALE PURPOSES***

PURISTS NEED NOT APPLY, THIS IS MY CAR & I COULD CARE LESS WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY!

Anyway, on to teh pictarz!!!

Chris Castro inspecting his awesome work!

Nicely tucked up against the chassis!

And now onto the tips!

Yes that another s54 e30 sitting in the background

Mocked up and ready to finish tig welding everything!

We will be building a custom diffuser for the tips made from thermoplastic.

Exhaust clips and proper pics from my DSLR will be posted when I get back from Costa Rica in a week and a half!

FULL BUILD THREAD HERE: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=181703
    Last edited by e30polak; 05-18-2012, 06:15 PM.
    Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Wow that looks awesome, love the center exit exhaust.

I don't get the purist comment though... Is that really an issue on this forum?

Comment

e28/e24 inspired I guess...? haha I like it!

What made you go this route? Aesthetics? Better flow exit?

Just to add- Glad Chris (Castro) has expanded the shop...
      John Anthony
      e90 m3
      e28- Commuter Spec

Comment

Nice work, center not my fav

Comment

Ugh.

Also, I love that you were concerned about what people might think of cutting up a bumper when they've cut out the spare tire tub...
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Center-exit exhaust is really not my thing, but I applaud the rest of the work, looks great!

Comment

what did you modify on the headers? I have a set, the flange alignment is hilarious.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post

Probably a copy and paste from a different thread, probably S14 where purists rule the land. I personally like the center exhaust!

Sam

Comment

Chris, exhaust looks tits! Chris does some nice work. What's the benefit of running the x-pipe right after the headers?

Comment

Very sexy, love it.

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post

Thanks! :D

The purist comment was more for s14.net, but there are some on this forum.... :p

Originally posted by J-aec View Post
                      e28/e24 inspired I guess...? haha I like it!

What made you go this route? Aesthetics? Better flow exit?

Just to add- Glad Chris (Castro) has expanded the shop...
                      Not really, Lamborghini Diablo VT and Murcielago inspired! The Diablo was my favorite car as a kid, and I've always loved the center, dual tip style exhaust:

(Diablo)

(Murcielago)

I went this route mainly for aesthetics. We still have to build the custom thermoplastic diffuser+undertray for the rear bumper. :pimp:

And yes, the shop expansion was long overdue! :p

Originally posted by jason952 View Post
                      Nice work, center not my fav
                      Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                      Ugh.

Also, I love that you were concerned about what people might think of cutting up a bumper when they've cut out the spare tire tub...
                      It's all good, different strokes for different folks.

As far as losing structural integrity by removing the spare tire well, I realized this risk going into it. The car is my weekend/fun/show car, it wont see much road time.

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                      Center-exit exhaust is really not my thing, but I applaud the rest of the work, looks great!
                      Thanks Josh! :nice:

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      what did you modify on the headers? I have a set, the flange alignment is hilarious.
                      Flange alignment is a given, lol, as well as O2 sensor bung placement.

Chris recreated a collector from scrath that barely clears the subframe, so we didn't have to notch it. Chris also cut off both downpipes from the collectors to clear the sway bar and the control arm lollipop.

Originally posted by Lag View Post
                      Probably a copy and paste from a different thread, probably S14 where purists rule the land. I personally like the center exhaust!

Sam
                      Yup, you got it Sam. Thanks of the compliment! :mrgreen:

Originally posted by Cha Ching View Post
                      Chris, exhaust looks tits! Chris does some nice work. What's the benefit of running the x-pipe right after the headers?
                      Thanks John!

X/Y/H pipe placement is a key to performance on NA and supercharged motors. We had great dyno results with a nearly identical exhaust system on our customer's s54 e36, so I wanted to mimic that set-up. :mrgreen:

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                      Very sexy, love it.
                      Thanks Luke! :mrgreen:
                      Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by e30polak View Post
                        Thanks Luke! :mrgreen:
                        I wanna have pretty much the same setup, but thinking dual canisters. I can't seem to find one that would be appropriate for 2" inlet and 3" outlet, but have the tips nicely spaced, as you have there.

The floor of my trunk will be where my amps live, of course. Plexi windows in the floor, LEDs, etc. I will make some sheet metal "cans" that are about 4" deep, so I can keep the stock floor level. Basically a tunnel for the exhaust in the middle. I have to shove 3 or 4 big amps and a big crossover somewhere, might as well be an aerodynamic improvement undercar, right? I plan on diffusers too, that late valence is one hell of an airbrake.

I talked to Rev-Tech, they were willing to make one of their square 3 chamber mufflers for me, but in a dual 2" inlet and use classic Borla tips (the round "Intercooled" ones if I supplied them) for like $180 or so, plus the tips are like $120ish a pair...on a muffler no one has heard on a 24V E30, custom fabbed for me. That is the backup plan if I can't find a canister I want.

Your build here gives me confidence, it really does. Excellent work, I wanna hear it!

Has it been on a dyno since the exhaust was done?

Luke

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Seen this car in person. It is godly.
                          RIP: Delphin '89 E30 with S50 swap and lots of goodies :'(

Then: '04 Evo 8 RS, 500 whp/420 wtq 2900 lb E85 AWD turbo shits 'n giggles

Now: 2003 BMW M5 in Sterling Gray

Comment

Working...
                          X