Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speed sensor

Hi to you all

I have a E30 sport powered S54 6speed box 3.25 diff and I am unable to find out how I can get around the speed signal. I'm unable to get a speed signal off the diff plug and unable to use the e30 abs sensors. so how can I do it. without it I only get 6500 rpm and hit the rev limit can I make something up and give the ecu the signal it needs.

What do you mean "I'm unable to get a speed signal off the diff plug"?

Normally the speed signal goes from the diff to the cluster to the ECU. You can hook the diff directly to the ECU as the signal is good enough for the ECU (IOW it is not the same signal as the output from the cluster but it is close enough).

Comment

Originally posted by bm1956 View Post
      Hi to you all

I have a E30 sport powered S54 6speed box 3.25 diff and I am unable to find out how I can get around the speed signal. I'm unable to get a speed signal off the diff plug and unable to use the e30 abs sensors. so how can I do it. without it I only get 6500 rpm and hit the rev limit can I make something up and give the ecu the signal it needs.
      You don't need it. You need to get DME coded

Comment

It's a simple modification to change a parameter to VSS input instead of DSC, and of course turning DSC off. Also, the K-factor needs to be adjusted (9 pulses/rev vs 48, plus tire diameter differences).

you want the signal to come from the cluster, the E30 VSS signal will work just fine.

it may be possible to do this remotely.. do you have an OBD2 port hooked up? do you know what version of MSS54 you have?
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
          You don't need it. You need to get DME coded
          ahh, the ghetto hack job way!
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Hi Nando

thanks for the info to do with the speed signal I think I misinformed you with the problem I have. with out the speed signal the vanos will not give proper adjustments to the cams and wont be able to sense lode on the engine so low speed torque will be flat I did not understand about the modification to change the parameter to VSS input instead of DSC and the K-factor to be adjusted (9 pulses/rev vs 48, plus tire diameter differences). I have 17 diameter wheels. 6 speed box from a E46 I have OBD port I have ews and running standard MS S54 ECU but E30 dash unit where is it best to tack the signal from I can read the ecu and can look at live dater on the speed sensor
            to see it the car move

Comment

the DME has to be flashed so it can read the speedometer signal out of the E30's instrument cluster. by default, MSS54 expects this signal to come from the DSC unit instead, but that is a different signal.

you run the original VSS signal from the cluster into the MSS54, I can't remember what pin it is off the top of my head, but I think it's in the X60004 connector. Then the DME must be flashed to read the signal from the E30 instrument cluster.

the version of your MSS54 is usually written on a sticker on top of the DME - but, it could have been updated too. there are probably 30-50 different hardware/software combinations.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Hi to you all s54's E30
                As for the road speed signal has some one had this mod done to the ecu and if so did it work ok and do you have a name or a Email address that I can use please

Comment

as I said - I can do it. but I need more info. :p

like, what hardware version (picture of the box will do) - if you need it remotely, or if you can ship a DME, if you have an OBD2 port hooked up, etc. etc.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                  X