M54 in E30 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M54 in E30 questions

So, I've just fitted an M54 3.0 to my E30 race car. Due to a number of issues (mainly $$$) I have installed it with an M52 OBDII harness and k-data plug-n-play Megasquirt ECU.

As the k-data is set up for the single VANOS of the M52, I am fitting a VAC VANOS-Delete kit, and am going to use the existing VANOS trigger wire to trigger the DISA valve. Confused yet?
    I have also fitted the M50 throttle body, and the motor has Schrick cams.

The VANOS-delete kit hasn't arrived yet, but I should have it by the weekend.

The car is going on the dyno next week, before its next race on Saturday 7th, and I want to understand what the software is doing.

So my questions:
    1. What is the 'at rest' position of the cams. Are they in the advanced position, or the retarded position.
    2. Which of these positions is which? Retarded = top end power? Or is ti the other way.
    3. If the cam solenoids are simply not connected, will the cams 'move around, or will they stay in the 'at rest' position? I need to know this if the VANOS-delete kite doesn't arrive in time.
    3. What is the 'at rest' position of the DISA valve? Open or closed?
    4. What position is for what? Open = Top end power?

Can you guys help me out with some info?

sigpic
    BumbleE30 M52 2.8i

If I remember right, on the map anyway. The cams start at rest or, fully retarded. Then they turn clockwise when the vanos solenoid opens. The cams shouldn't advance without the solenoids being connected. I also believe the cams only advance for midrange power, and then retard.for high end... I could be wrong on that, though.
    Need BMW parts?
    http://www.blunttech.com
    or face ultimate peril.

Comment

It depends on rpms and load.

-They should start to advance at lower rpms and high loads.

-They will be advanced at mid-rpms and all loads (but the amount of advance depends on the load)

-They will retard at higher rpms starting at higher loads first.

Comment

OK, I've got this running and had a tune. This is with no VANOS whatsoever.

My issue is now that the tach isn't working. It was before with the BMW DME, but now with the MS, it's not.

I've bought an autometer Tach converter to use, but need to know which wire in the coil harness to use.
        Is it the green one?
        sigpic
        BumbleE30 M52 2.8i

Comment

Working...
        X