S54 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by m3_eater View Post
    I contemplated not posting at all, since so many of you are experienced swappers already and must know what you're doing. However, I just can't resist asking:

Why go to the trouble of an S54 swap without taking whatever steps necessary to keep the dual VANOS? Otherwise, you'll end up with an engine that's only strong in a narrow rev band (and decidedly weak off-idle).
    I agree with you... IMHO if you are going to spend the money on a swap liek this get all the features you want to work.
    e30sport.net
    '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
    '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
    '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

I dunno about you, but that dyno graph looks pretty strong from 3250 (probably where they went WOT) to 8500 RPM, and the particular example has locked cams. I may not be able to duplicate the power output figures, but the overall shape of the curve would remain very similar on a stock engine.

It would be ideal to get an EMS that can control VANOS. There are three that I know of so far: Pectel, Motec, and EFI Technology. What it boils down to is

a) how good the support is (factory, tuners in my area or at least on my coast)
      b) how easy it is to get the car safely running
      c) cost

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

here is a S54 swap here on the E46 forum.. dated back to mid '06

Comment

Yep, that was what I referenced--the MITE46 swap earlier in this thread. That doesn't seem a half bad way to go, after thinking about aftermarket EMS for a little while. With a stock ECU, you have the benefit of the fuel and ignition maps exhaustively tested for everyday, reliable driving.

I've decided against doing the swap this winter, mostly due to time and budget constraints.

Maybe if someone local wrecks an S54 Z3M and sells it cheap, I'd pick it up just to hang onto it, but otherwise, I'm just gonna lay low and read ETMs until the cows come home.

Comment

exactly that is what i think about .. if you swap the whole engine with the electrics and everything related to it , it will be good for daily drive , also with the same specs and so on , i mean see what the donors car diff ratio/lock was , build in a same one .. see what brake rotors measurements/brake calipers were in , try to build them in too or build something similar , .. etc ..
            then you will end up with a good dailydriver .. (if you find a Z3M donor car , tae all the mechanism and electrics , everything what you can get ..
            i always read , the whole rear axle suits in the E30 plug n play , drive steering column fits with little work , and is directer , you can even make the 5 lug conversion with the front axles ..
            related to electronics , take everything what is attatched to the wiring harness , including speedometer and everything ;)
            easier .. buy the whole car , buy a E30 2 door for cheap money . and start rebuilding the E30. fit the "whole" wiring harness from the Z3M , and then you dont need to play with the engine wiring harness and so on ;)

Comment

Originally posted by trinity View Post
              exactly that is what i think about .. if you swap the whole engine with the electrics and everything related to it , it will be good for daily drive , also with the same specs and so on , i mean see what the donors car diff ratio/lock was , build in a same one .. see what brake rotors measurements/brake calipers were in , try to build them in too or build something similar , .. etc ..
              then you will end up with a good dailydriver .. (if you find a Z3M donor car , tae all the mechanism and electrics , everything what you can get ..
              i always read , the whole rear axle suits in the E30 plug n play , drive steering column fits with little work , and is directer , you can even make the 5 lug conversion with the front axles ..
              related to electronics , take everything what is attatched to the wiring harness , including speedometer and everything ;)
              easier .. buy the whole car , buy a E30 2 door for cheap money . and start rebuilding the E30. fit the "whole" wiring harness from the Z3M , and then you dont need to play with the engine wiring harness and so on ;)
              Your saying use everything from the s54? Car harness and all?

That would be really expensive, more or less what MITE46 did.
              Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

I'm at the end of this swap and it has taken twice the time and money that I thought I needed. I think that is the main reasons why so many give up halfway through...

Comment

Originally posted by kristov View Post
                  I'm at the end of this swap and it has taken twice the time and money that I thought I needed. I think that is the main reasons why so many give up halfway through...
                  details or pictures?
                  My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                  There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                    details or pictures?
                    I will post pics and info once it's done.

Comment

thanks for joining r3vlimited, kristov! :)

Comment

Why not run Haltech?

Comment

Fred, here is a little inspiration for you

edit: some more spy photos here
                          Azevedo Motorsports is one of the area's best known body and motor shops and has been in business for over a decade. Our specialty is exotic cars. We also service cars from all over the nation and even have clients from other countries. We have built numerous exotic cars which have been featured in many magazines, car shows, video games and movies; ie: (The Fast and the Furious, Gran Turismo 5, Performance BMW, Performance VW, Euro Tuner, European Car, Street Tuner, Performance Auto, and Sound and Rides). Here at Azevedo Motorsports we strive to be the best and build the best and take the utmost pride in every detail associated with our clients cars.
                          Last edited by static; 01-02-2008, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Well, maybe in 2009 I'll try something like this, when you can buy an S54 on a street corner for around $4500. :mrgreen:

Comment

I understand from reading all the way this thread that the main problem with the S54 swap is the DME and all the extra things BMW has it do besides engine management. Hasn't anyone tried to decode the function codes and come up with delete features or something similar? Seems like there is a market for such a thing.

I know it took several years to break the Honda codes, but now that they have there are several firms that offer flash programs, etc for just about any combination available.

Comment

Originally posted by bwh13 View Post
                                I understand from reading all the way this thread that the main problem with the S54 swap is the DME and all the extra things BMW has it do besides engine management. Hasn't anyone tried to decode the function codes and come up with delete features or something similar? Seems like there is a market for such a thing.

I know it took several years to break the Honda codes, but now that they have there are several firms that offer flash programs, etc for just about any combination available.
                                that makes the most sense to me as well.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X