No announcement yet.

S54 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not sure if this has been posted yet, but i just found mite46's website where he documents the whole e30s54 swap with pics and comments (beats the long ass thread full of unnecessary chatter on e46fanatics)

Comment

Originally posted by static View Post
      Fred, here is a little inspiration for you

edit: some more spy photos here
      http://www.azevedomotorsports.com/ga...8158&g2_page=1
      I LOVE the way that bay looks. Pure function.
      My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
      There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

"Keeping the EWS aligned is the only issue we are having currently. Once this is ironed out it will make S54 swaps pretty easy. We have several cars allready running S54's with stock ECU's in a variety of bodies." - robweenerpi over on bfc, he works for bimmerworld

So apparently its not as impossible as I thought it was.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
        You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

haha, thanks for keeping your eyes peeled madjurgen! The swap really makes a lot more sense if you don't need to drop $2500 on EMS, plus $1500+++ on tuning, custom parts, wiring implementation, and other crap. Stock driveability is great too!

Originally posted by whysimon
          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

I agree. I'm guessing in 2-3 years this swap will be a lot more common. Its at the stage s50 swaps were 3-4 years ago. All it takes is one brave person to tackle it and document.

I vote you Fred.

As time went on, the factory developed the car each year, making it faster, more comfortable, and capable of handling at higher speeds.
            You don’t want this. You want the trickiest, most dangerous, oldest model you can find. Only then can you prove to the world that you’re a man.

Comment

Originally posted by madjurgen View Post
              I vote you Fred.
              <austin power's voice> Yes please </>

Comment

Originally posted by madjurgen View Post
                "Keeping the EWS aligned is the only issue we are having currently. Once this is ironed out it will make S54 swaps pretty easy. We have several cars allready running S54's with stock ECU's in a variety of bodies." - robweenerpi over on bfc, he works for bimmerworld

So apparently its not as impossible as I thought it was.

I though D'Sylva was able to program out the EWS on the S54 ECU?

Comment

What does he mean by 'keeping the EWS aligned"?

On another note, speaking with one of the Honda ECU people they said that it may be the DME has the EWS part built onto another board that is then attached to the motherboard.

What exactly does the EWS disable on the cars; fuel pump, coil packs, etc? IF the EWS only disables the pump for example, figuring out if it just disables the ground to the fuel pump means you just have to ground the fuel pump pin in the C connector to get the pump to operate...probably too simple but if enough of us make suggestions on how to circumvent the EWS it might get solved sooner...

Comment

Making suggestions isnt going to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by bwh13 View Post
                      What does he mean by 'keeping the EWS aligned"?

On another note, speaking with one of the Honda ECU people they said that it may be the DME has the EWS part built onto another board that is then attached to the motherboard.

What exactly does the EWS disable on the cars; fuel pump, coil packs, etc? IF the EWS only disables the pump for example, figuring out if it just disables the ground to the fuel pump means you just have to ground the fuel pump pin in the C connector to get the pump to operate...probably too simple but if enough of us make suggestions on how to circumvent the EWS it might get solved sooner...
                      EWS cuts the injector and ignition signals, not the fuel pump.

Comment

So if we could figure out if the EWS has a separate board or chip on the motherboard, it would be possible to bypass that part of the system...

Comment

Originally posted by bwh13 View Post
                          So if WE could figure out ...
                          i nominate YOU to figure it out.

to be honest, youre just shooting in the dark. i was told that even the motorsport division did not bypass it. i heard that the euro motorsport race cars "suposidly" did not have ews. however, if you opened up the dme, there was a sawed off key and ring taped to the inside of the dme. if the "motorsport" division of bmw cant figure it out, im sure that i cant either.

however, i have heard that ews was removed (via soldering inside the dme) from the m54b30. dealer was in germany, and i cannot verify though.

cheers, jason

Comment

S54's have been around for what, 8 years now... If none of the major shops/race teams have cracked it by now, it ain't going to happen. Why would they even try since they could just go standalone? Most of these engines go into race cars anyway...

Here is that m54b30 thread - http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=m54b30

Comment

Sigh. I'm financially committed to another project right now, and I feel slightly frustrated that I can't go out and buy an S54 and get elbows deep into the engine bay (but mostly with the wiring). Maybe later this year--WAY later.

Originally posted by whysimon
                              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                                Sigh. I'm financially committed to another project right now, and I feel slightly frustrated that I can't go out and buy an S54 and get elbows deep into the engine bay (but mostly with the wiring). Maybe later this year--WAY later.
                                You've got 11 months and some change, I'm holding you to that.
                                Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X