S54 making the jump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 making the jump

So I think I'm going to do it. I think I'm going to attempt an S54 swap into my 1985 318. Can you guys help me out here. I'm just getting started on the conversion. If anyone has done this before please PM me. Can anyone give me a list of parts that I will need? Thanks, George Goodling

Congrats on the decision .

But you've got to do better than that pitty post .
    Try searching just a little bit and you'll find a few threads in this very section .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

e46fanatics.com user mite46

He is still working the kinks I believe, but its done and runs.
      Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

Originally posted by devonjordan View Post
        e46fanatics.com user mite46
        He is still working the kinks I believe, but its done and runs.

Please .
        No one in their right mind could use that write-up as a guide .

We all know how to get it in mechanically , its the engine management that is the harder part .
        Well without spending a small fortune at least .

Comment

I was just saying he has done it, might be good to ask him some questions.
          Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

Originally posted by devonjordan View Post
            I was just saying he has done it, might be good to ask him some questions.
            Not really , he's done noting special except to incorporate a bunch of worthless $46 features into the E30 .

Comment

how serious are you about this swap?...i don't want to put energy into someone else's fantasy...i have plenty of my own
              No more e30s for me.
              88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
              88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
              91 BMW 325i [sold]
              86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                how serious are you about this swap?...i don't want to put energy into someone else's fantasy...i have plenty of my own
                I'd say it's a dreamer. "How do I do it and what parts do I need?" Someone serious buys the engine, gets as far as he can with the obvious shit available on this site in prepping the engine and all the parts he'll obviously need and then comes asking hey what are my brake and engine management options?

Comment

as a rule... if you have to ask how to do it then you shouldn't try
                  e30sport.net
                  '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                  '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                  '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

it's not bull. i'm still looking for a diesel M57 but have just about given up on that. Now I'm looking at the S54. Everyone has done the S50/52 swap and I like the numbers on the S54 much more. I haven't bought the engine yet for two reasons. One I have seen one I'm in love with, two I haven't sold my last project which is a 1999 A4 if anyone is interested. In short I am planning on doing the S54 swap. I am looking for some write ups and advice. Will the same 5 series mounts that work for the S50 work for the 54? What radiators have been used? Stuff like that. Thanks

Comment

Just curious... What is your budget?

Comment

Nobody besides MITE46 has done an S54 in an E30 with stock EMS, as far as I know.

With this swap, knowledge can bring the price down. The more you farm out the more it will cost. Using stock EMS and a 5 speed transmission you had better budget around $10-12K minimum.

Originally posted by whysimon
                        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Now add $5K for EMS, sensors, etc... and you still need to factor in significant dyno time.

Comment

nagarahappen... :D euro version of s52/euro s50 is a better choice imo.
                            No more e30s for me.
                            88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                            88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                            91 BMW 325i [sold]
                            86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

why is the euro S52 and better choice and what is the price on one? I'm looking to stay under 5,500 for the engine. But I can get a front clip for that. My best friend just bought the shop that he was working at and I will do that swap there so labor is not an expense. I have the 318 so i'm looking to pretty much tear apart everything. I want the 6-speed which would work with the s52 euro right? But I will also be putting in the cluster and all other electronics from the donor car rather then trying to make my old cluster match up. What are the differences in MPG and AWHP in the S50 S52 and S54? I am hoping to have this thing going as my daily driver by the end of the summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X