Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
    Which one? Link, please.

I second Matt on the M54. Cheaper, lighter, still has tons of power. They're doing it in Poland, why can't we??
    Damn right, Polaks FTW!!! :pimp:

Fuck all the brainless Polak jokes, we just one-upped America!!! :nice:

LOL...S54 is a great motor, but a waste of money for an e30. Do an m50 NV turbo, or an obd1 s52 and supercharge it. Have fun with the s54, it wont be as easy as you think. :roll:
    Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Yeah, and my last name is Majewski. I should be able to do it, damnit!

Comment

the guy i bought my 5lug from offa s14.net is building an s54 track-rat e30 m3 on the DL. hes gonna run SMG also... given, hes an electrical/mechanical engineer...
        IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lag View Post
          Good luck with your project, I am seriously considering the same swap into my M. I already have SM4 sitting here in a box ready to go. Just trying to do more research prior to committing. Although I feel confident in going with the S54.

I would just like to know if it would be possible to utilize the factory cluster in the e30 just for temp, speed, rpm and temp. I would like to keep it a street car.
          Yes, you can use the factory cluster for those things. The SM4 outputs the correct signal for rpm too. As for temp you have to fit the E30 sensor somewhere in the coolant circuit.

I run the S54 in my E30 with SM4 and so far it looks good. It will be adjusted and dynoed on tuesday. I have eliminated VANOS as you will only loose 10% or so in mid-range. Top-end power will be the same. The drive by wire solution has also been eliminated.

The engine sits very well in the E30 engine bay and looks smaller than the S50 or S38. You can clearly see it is a much more compact design.

But be awared - this conversion cost a fucking lot of money and time if you do it the right way

Comment

Kristov,

Are you utilizing the factory ABS, or did you eliminate that all together? I would like to keep the factory ABS intact as well if at all possible.

So is the speed calibrated through cable or is it a wired sensor on the S54 trans? I kind of figured the VANOS would have to be eliminated, although that's not that big of a deal. For the tach you just use an output from the Autronic to the factory cluster and bypass the computer all together? That would seem logical, I know these may seem pretty goofy questions but I am used to VAG products and their electrical is pretty rough on the newer cars.

Do you have pictures of your set up? I would like to see it for motivation. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Lag View Post
              Kristov,

Are you utilizing the factory ABS, or did you eliminate that all together? I would like to keep the factory ABS intact as well if at all possible.

So is the speed calibrated through cable or is it a wired sensor on the S54 trans? I kind of figured the VANOS would have to be eliminated, although that's not that big of a deal. For the tach you just use an output from the Autronic to the factory cluster and bypass the computer all together? That would seem logical, I know these may seem pretty goofy questions but I am used to VAG products and their electrical is pretty rough on the newer cars.

Do you have pictures of your set up? I would like to see it for motivation. ;)
              I have retained factory ABS - it is a standalone system and does not rely on the engine ECU.

Speed-signal goes directly from the differential to the cluster - no need to do anything there.

VANOS can be controlled with SM4 - I just think the gains are too small to rectify all the hassle with setting it up and extra work adjusting it afterwards.

Take tach signal from SM4 and just splice it into the factory wire for the tach on the cluster.

I have completely removed the original ECU.

I will release some pictures when it is done.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                I would rather have an M54B30 than an S54. They have very similar performance up to 6800rpm and the aluminum motor is lighter.

Just a thought...
                does anyone make a vanos delete similar to VAC's piece for the S54?

Comment

Why is everyone interested in using the Autronic units? They are kind of outdated. A much better option would be the Pectel units. I know the Pectel S6Q (or is it SQ6) is able to fully control an S62, including the electronic throttles and all 4 vanos units. It is also able to do full sequential. The Pectel units are also about the same price as a fully unlocked Motec unit.
                  My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                  There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post
                    does anyone make a vanos delete similar to VAC's piece for the S54?
                    Who cares? Do it right or don't bother.

If you just want an aluminum motor and don't care about vanos, get an Al M52.

Comment

What about stock ecu? Keep the VANOS and the factory mapping, plus IT'S BEING DONE. In Poland. WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                        What about stock ecu? Keep the VANOS and the factory mapping, plus IT'S BEING DONE. In Poland. WTF?
                        As you've read its being done in America too....
                        "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time"-Colin McCrae

Comment

Just to get you guys thinkin:)

I www.ak-bmwcroatia.com I

:wgaf:

Comment

:pimp: just a little something lurking around in the garage

Check out those ports

85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Originally posted by E30Kaiser View Post
                              As you've read its being done in America too....

Who is running an M52 with factory ecu here?

I'm not talking about a standalone system or a race motor. I would only be interested in the M54 if I could run it with the factory ecu. Maybe I'll get frustrated enough and design/build an emissions emulator.

Comment

rs4pro3 - baller!
                                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Working...
                                X