M54. Let the foolishness begin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOOT! Good makeshift fuel pressure gauge using the oil gauge
    I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
    2875-C Towerview Road
    Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

413 ECU fault detection

This is interesting. I've always wondered how the 413 ECU knew when you didn't have a load connected to one of its outputs and gave you a "Check Engine" fault. I have a power resistor connected across my evap purge valve and now my intake VANOS connections to keep the ecu happy.

I came across this in some data sheets:

"The Flag (pin 7) provides fault status for under-current,
      over-current, and thermal shutdown conditions. This pin is
      active low with pin voltage typically +0.3V during a fault
      condition. A small value capacitor may be needed between
      Flag and ground for noisy applications"

Here is the actual device and datasheet:

http://web.media.mit.edu/~dmerrill/m...oid_driver.pdf

Burr-Brown DRV-101

Each output driver has its own flag that can signal the ECU processor when it is out of parameters. The ECU assigns a code to that flag and trips the CEL.

What this means is that some small, strategic changes in the ECU could permanently disable some of those pesky CEL issues! It also means I can get rid of my external load resistors.

Comment

VANOS progress

Electronics don't make for very sexy pictures but there's a lot of progress here. In the last month it seems like I've had to do a lot of little things to make a few significant steps.

-I upgraded my exhaust from all stock e30 stuff to an OBD2 mid-section and an e36 muffler. Immediately the car pulled much harder and my previously lean A/F ratios dropped from around 15.5-16 at WOT to less than 14. That was a nice side effect, but I had to do it because when I start tweaking the exhaust cam a poor exhaust will lead to reversion at greater valve overlaps. I am now a little suprised that I pulled almost 200 whp with the old exhaust and wonder what it would do now? Is 275 crank too much to hope for?

-I upgraded my original SPI LCD display to an RS-232 serial display. No small task because this one has CRC encoded packets, but I gain 100% noise immunity and some neat-o buttons that will eventually be the user interface.

-I migrated everything from the original Microchip development board plus an interface breadboard to a single prototype board. I'm down to a few chips and some resistors. The LCD is connected through a phone jack. The next version will have a purpose built circuit board and shouldn't be much bigger than the Queen of Spades. I'm hoping it will fit inside the 413 case and the LCD will plug into a jack for monitoring and control.

- I rolled DISA into the board. With a few lines of code and a MOSFET I got rid of my Summit Racing RPM swich that I had before.

- I have exhaust cam monitoring working. I can track the exhaust cam but haven't added the closed-loop control yet.

So to-do I need to get EEPROM writes working so that I can configure things with the buttons and finish connecting the exhaust solenoid.

The swap has over 2000 miles on it and is proving to be a great driver. It's a little noisy when cold but otherwise extremely well-mannered. Intake VANOS has been working great in continuously variable mode. It only works when the 413 VANOS is active so I always stay on the right map. The 20 degrees of advance is great! It has a shit-ton of low end torque.

The LCD is showing that at idle, the Command position is 250 degrees and the Actual position is 252 degrees. The VANOS is not active and the cam is resting on the stops.

The Exhaust cam is at 112 degrees. These are relative to the missing tooth, not TDC.
        Attached Files

Comment

I don't know what's going on.

But the pictures are pretty.

Comment

^ I'm lost with you my friend. All I know is that this is awesome.
            1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
            You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
              I don't know what's going on.

But the pictures are pretty.

Comment

that's the shit man. keep the tech details coming!

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                Originally posted by slammin.e28
                Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

i guess i shoulda went for EE instead of getting my ME
                  e30sport.net
                  '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                  '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                  '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Sexy!
                    I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Delta Auto Care
                    2875-C Towerview Road
                    Herndon, VA

Comment

Exhaust VANOS!

Up until today, my car has sucked.

I just didn't realize it.

Now it's completely retarded.:grin:

I finally got my exhaust VANOS connected and even with a best "guess" at what the retard profile should look like it pulls much harder than before. Significantly so.

Unfortunately, as a consequence of pumping so much more air my A/F ratio leaned from the 14 I had before back up to 15. I guess that's good news, because once I get fuel to match the extra flow it should be even better.

I'll keep it at moderate retard figures for now until I can figure that out. The Dinan S50 chip is just running out of steam here.

Comment

Lol, so when are you going to make a compatible harness for us poor, ignorant peasants?
                        1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                        You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

I love what's going on. I will be going back to read this thread from the begining.

Comment

[/QUOTE]
                            Originally posted by Holland View Post
                            Lol, so when are you going to make a compatible harness for us poor, ignorant peasants?
                            It's called an OBD1 harness... same as any other OBD1 conversion.

Also, I noticed the other day that Zionsville now has a new 100% mechanical thermostat for the M54 they sell for $199. If you already have an M54 thermostat the conversion kit is only $150! Of course, you can just keep the stock M54 thermostat if you like it set to 105 degrees.

From the Google machine:

The amount of overlap, or the area between the intake opening and the exhaust closing, is one of the most critical points in the engine cycle. If the intake valve opens too early, it will push the new charge into the intake manifold. If it occurs too late, it will lean out the cylinder and greatly hinder the performance of the engine. If the exhaust valve closes early it will trap some of the spent gas in the combustion chamber, if it closes late it will over-scavenge the chamber, taking out too much of the charge. Again, this creates an artificially lean condition. If the overlap phase occurs too early it will create an overly rich condition in the exhaust port which causes a severe dip in fuel economy. So as you can see, the overlap phase is very critical to engine performance.
                            My favorite Spiderman quote is "With power comes great responsibility". How do I best utilize my VANOS powers??
                            Last edited by hoveringuy; 04-03-2009, 10:03 AM.

Comment

dyno time?

Things are looking up. I changed a few settings on the exaust profile just slightly and made some more pulls on my street dyno... the LM-2 is really paying for itself here.

I had a nice long hill and a tall gear to accelerate up. A/F ratios look better than yesterday. Maybe I found the secret sauce? It's time to schedule some dyno time!
                              Attached Files

Comment

i can haz sauce? :)

Delta Auto Care
                                2875-C Towerview Road
                                Herndon, VA

Comment

Working...
                                X