M54. Let the foolishness begin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Sert

Time Serts are in and the head is torqued down. I'm not a smoker but I sure could have used one waiting between the first 90 degrees and second but thankfully it held and didn't yield.

The Time Sert is a full 30mm insert that comes to within 1 1/2 mm of the top. The other option is a 24.5mm one that is recessed 6mm like stock or the generic head repair version that Baum Tools sells, which is 24.5mm that comes up to the top. I chose the 30mm because of potential weakening of the aluminum and I can use all the surface bite I can get.

I also measured the old bolts compared to the new and they were from 10-30 thousands longer. Wow!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hoveringuy; 09-16-2008, 08:01 PM.

Comment

dual VANOS, ready for timing

Head is back on, cams are re-installed using the tried-and-true Pelican method.

The dual-VANOS is a little more complicated but I have it all together and am waiting on the timing plate that sets the depths of the two plungers for the proper timing.

Overall, it's very close to putting the M50 together with a few small differences.

I also have a special thermostat on order to replace the stock computer controlled one.
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice work. Subscribed.

Comment

What kind of thermostat are you putting in? You know it's not actually electronically controlled, it just has a temp sensor at the thermostat. I think you can just put on the M50/M52 stuff probably.

Comment

I'll post more about it when I get the thermostat, but it's a custom one made by Zionsville.

The stock thermostat isn't so much computer controlled, it's a mechanical thermostat with some electrical adjustment. The ECU commands a heater element in the thermostat under certain conditions (high speeds, high external temps, etc.) to increase the cooling flow. The mechanical part of it is set to 105 degrees in normal driving.

Would you want a 105 degree thermostat??

It's integrated into the plastic housing and can't be changed. Also, M50 ones won't fit because of a different head design and clearance issues with the dual VANOS.

This is in line with the fact that 90% of the "improvements" in the M54 are actually just emissions and fuel consumption related. The other 10% are performance.

Comment

Throw the ZHP cams in there, makes it enjoyably peaky :) I bet Schricks would be nice also.

While I'm a big E46 fan, I was never too blown away by the M54's and their small jump from the M50/M52's. I found it interesting that the E36 325i was rated at 189hp and the E46 325i was rated at 184hp. I know the E36 325i was the top model until the 328i and the E46 325i wasn't but still you would think even with the OBDII restrictions at least it would meet or exceed the previous generation's output for the same size.
              Past: 1991 330is; 1995 318ti; 1993 325is; 1997 318ti; 1989 332is; 1999 Z3 M Coupe

Comment

BMW motors make the power BMW wants them to make.

Then I come along and give you the rest of the power back. :twisted:

This is another company's performance chip vs our custom tune that actually gets 100% of the performance out of the motor. Both motors are 100% stock M50TU.
                Attached Files

Comment

Much smoother rev-band.
                  Past: 1991 330is; 1995 318ti; 1993 325is; 1997 318ti; 1989 332is; 1999 Z3 M Coupe

Comment

whats the weight of an m54 compared to a Al m52?

could an m54 block work with an single-vanos m50/52 head?
                    1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
                      whats the weight of an m54 compared to a Al m52?

could an m54 block work with an single-vanos m50/52 head?

m54 = 15-20# heavier. m50/52 head will not fit m54 block.

cheers, jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason89i View Post
                        m54 = 15-20# heavier. m50/52 head will not fit m54 block.

cheers, jason
                        ohkay, just dreaming anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                          BMW motors make the power BMW wants them to make.

Then I come along and give you the rest of the power back. :twisted:

This is another company's performance chip vs our custom tune that actually gets 100% of the performance out of the motor. Both motors are 100% stock M50TU.
                          +1 I love my TRM tune, worlds better then my AA chip.

So who want's to buy my AA chip ;)

Comment

Oh... and just to be sure... an m54b30 rotating assm (crank, rods, pistions) will work in an m50/52, yes?

Comment

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
                              Oh... and just to be sure... an m54b30 rotating assm (crank, rods, pistions) will work in an m50/52, yes?
                              The crank is from the S52 AFAIK.

Comment

Map Controlled Thermostat

I've been gone all week but had something nice waiting when I got home. Pictured is the stock Map Controlled Thermostat and a really nice Zionsville billet thermostat that I will be replacing it with.

The stock thermostat is incorporated into the housing and can't be replaced or changed. It is also wired for the heater element that is ECU controlled. The heater helps to melt the wax inside the thermostat and fools it into opening for more coolant flow, which the ECU commands for certain conditions.

The Zionsville solution is a serious piece of nice machining. It's art, really. Milled out of a solid chunk of aluminum. They produced a bunch of these as a solution to the famous M54 overheating problem. Thing is, these things are selling about as fast as Miami condos these days so they are rotting on the shelves. Seems like the new BMW owners don't take much interest in their cars until they actually overheat.

They looked at all other possible solutions, including using M50 thermostat housings and such but this is the only way to do it.

I could have kept the stock thermostat and run a hot engine but now I have a nice 88degree thermostat.

Also, notice the quick-connect hose fitting. Will my coolant hoses be half E46 and half E30 with a coupling in the middle? I don't know yet.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by hoveringuy; 09-27-2008, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X