Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UPDATE: E30 M54B30 progress so far (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATE: E30 M54B30 progress so far (pics)

here is where I am at so far:

- Deleted the power steering and that freed up a lot of space and no worries about leaks.

- used engine harness adapter from redline motorsports which took all the guess work out of the wiring and it comes with an obd2 port to scan for codes and view live data. It was pricey but worth it. You send them your dme to disable ews and anything else you want, all included in the price.

- Deleted the AC, but kept the condenser to use it as a mount for the electric fan. I used an e34 fan, larger diameter but it fits on the e30 condenser with a bit of bending and persuading the metal brackets. This thing creates a tornado on high speed.

- deleted the CCV system and just used a small breather filter at the valve cover and plugged all vacuum ports on the intake manifold.

- Used the bmw euro diesel mechanical fan. I have about 1/4 inch clearance at the bottom between fan and radiator core and about 1/2 inch at the top. Not sure why but it works, could be because of how the engine is sloped down slightly towards the firewall.

- Used a short cone filter and supported it with a 3 inch diameter C-shaped electrical conduit bracket and attached that to the Threaded hole on the oil filter housing where the PS reservoir used to be.

- Completed the e90 coolant tank install and put the hood back on the car. No interference at all with the hood closed and latched.

- Used e60 brake booster rotated 180 so the vacuum port does not interfere with the intake manifold. The port is Now on the lower left side by the frame rail. Even with that, I had to shave a couple of plastic brackets on the intake to get this setup to work.

-Got the front half of the driveshaft out of a 98 e46 328i with the zf manual trans and shortened it by about 2.25 inches and it fit perfect with the rear half of the e30 driveshaft (m42) and the CSB mounts like it would on the e30, not backwards.

- used the e46 fuel filter with built in regulator and mounted it to the frame rail. I might use the m3 rail with built in regulator later on when I can find one.

-Used a couple Hoses connected together with a 1 inch pvc coupler for the lower radiator hose to get the right bends

- Used a dodge neon turbo upper radiator hose and shortened it on both ends. It has the right bends and fits perfect.

-Last issue I have to tackle is the exhaust from the manifolds all the way to the back. Used Z3 manifolds and welded the air injection ports shut.

- swapped out the 4.10 small case diff for a 3.15 medium case from 1998 z3 2.8L. It’s a direct bolt on, did not even have to swap out the flanges
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NvE30; 06-13-2020, 09:57 PM.

Progress pics
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks great! What are your driving impressions?

Comment

I only drove it for about 2 minutes after spending two weeks trying to figure out why bank one was running lean and bank two running rich. It turns out I had the o2 sensor plugs switched, and after I connected each where they were supposed to be connected, it ran perfect. I am running it on open headers right now and it is very loud when I floor it so I can’t run it for long until I get the exhaust done because neighbors will complain. It pulls very hard given it’s a 230 hp engine in a 2600lb car and I can say it is absolutely superior to an m50 swap. Worth every penny and every hour spent on the swap. Very happy with it.
        Last edited by NvE30; 05-19-2020, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Very nice setup. Is your Euro Diesel fan mounted off the waterpump? Hard to see. Cheers

Comment

Yes it’s mounted off the water pump as you would a regular m54 fan

Comment

So I did not like the small case 4.10 diff. The engine would be high reviving and loud, and since I did not do this swap to race the car or drive it on the track, I had to swap out the diff. I decided to go with a 3.15 medium case from 1998 z3 2.8L and it was a direct bolt on, did not even have to swap out the flanges. The difference is night and day. Very happy with it
              Last edited by NvE30; 06-13-2020, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X