No announcement yet.

iX wheel thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, yes that is little too much in front it need narrower adapter at front, also i try maybe in back to level that difference :)
    https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
    https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Interesting. My car has some right rear quarter damage and I've been musing about getting early quarters installed so I could tuck wider tires.

Comment

Those stock prefacelift ix plastic wheel arch are little different then facelift, there is that inner edge little different, also there is little lip what come down, also that attachment point is a different place, if you compare facelift plastic wheel arch.
        When i was also test fit those 23mm adapter in back this car, it need way more less heat/rolling to get those tyre under that plastic edge.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
          Interesting. My car has some right rear quarter damage and I've been musing about getting early quarters installed so I could tuck wider tires.
          not worth it IMO. you can fit plenty of tire in either one, more than an E30 needs realistically.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Sade View Post
            Those stock prefacelift ix plastic wheel arch are little different then facelift, there is that inner edge little different, also there is little lip what come down, also that attachment point is a different place, if you compare facelift plastic wheel arch.
            When i was also test fit those 23mm adapter in back this car, it need way more less heat/rolling to get those tyre under that plastic edge.
            Yeah, I'd need pre-facelift arches, which may still be available from BMW.

Originally posted by nando View Post
            not worth it IMO. you can fit plenty of tire in either one, more than an E30 needs realistically.
            Big tires do more work(TM) ;)
            I just fit 18x9.5's with 285/30's on my Fiero and think I can go 18x10.5 with 305/30's with just a little work to the struts. I don't believe there's such a thing as too wide.
            What really makes the higher wheel arches fit is the camber curve of the suspension in combination with ride height. The fenders aren't any wider, but if the car's not decapitating grasshoppers and has a decent alignment at static height, then the rear suspension's camber change will pull the top of the tire in more as the suspension compresses.

Comment

Now if I could only find some 16x8's with et30 that wont break the bank :roll:

Might have to go with a 15x8. Just wanting something that will fill the wheel well better without lowering it a bunch.
              89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
              I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Yeah, I'd need pre-facelift arches, which may still be available from BMW.

Big tires do more work(TM) ;)
                I just fit 18x9.5's with 285/30's on my Fiero and think I can go 18x10.5 with 305/30's with just a little work to the struts. I don't believe there's such a thing as too wide.
                What really makes the higher wheel arches fit is the camber curve of the suspension in combination with ride height. The fenders aren't any wider, but if the car's not decapitating grasshoppers and has a decent alignment at static height, then the rear suspension's camber change will pull the top of the tire in more as the suspension compresses.
                Ok. Ive done the big tire thing on the E30 - more weight, more cost, less responsive, marginal increase in grip (especially if your tires are cold because you can't get enough heat into them).

Cutting up your fenders in a misguided effort to run "big tires" when you can already fit more than enough is silly.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

For AutoX, not being able to heat up the tires is a problem. I hadn't thought it would be a problem for a car as heavy as an E30. That's one I'd heard of more in association with 1200# open wheelers...

It's much less of a problem for any event like HDPE or a more formal TT involving more than one lap. In a campaign like One Lap of America in which the operating philosophy is "Use one set of tires as efficiently as possible" having more rubber available to remove before the tire is toast makes the difference between finishing and not.

I'm not talking about cutting fenders up. I'm talking about turning a late into an early. My car already has some poorly bondo'd damage to the right rear quarter panel anyway, so I might as well both fix it the right way and do an interesting mod to the car at the same time. (That is definitely *NOT* to say I won't roll *THE* *SHIT* out of them, however...)

The idea that big tires being can do more work relies implicitly on the idea that the car's suspension can put them to work. This is not a foregone conclusion with an E30, but I have ideas for how to fix that.

Comment

yeah, but nobody is going to be racing an E30 ix in One Lap of America. :p
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yet... ;-)

Comment

So if want wide tyres, cut those arch like nando was saying, like this

Comment

If you were to make that a wide body dtm style car it might not look that bad but that is somethin else

I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

It was a GRM $2012 Challenge car... it's not going to be very pretty. They also later built box flares for it.

Comment

It was a GRM $2012 Challenge car... it's not going to be very pretty. They also later built box flares for it.
                              I do like the wheels though...but the offset

Comment

Nando do you know if 17x8's will fit with a stock ride height?

Comment

Working...
                                X