Inner tie rod end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inner tie rod end

I just found out that I need a new right inner tie rod end on my '88 iX. I have three related questions:

Do they usually go in pairs? i.e. Should I replace both the left and right sides?

Is there any option other than an oem tie rod? Can I replace just the inner end? I have not been able to find one for less than $120, and that seems like a lot to spend.

I know the outer end is iX specific, because of the weird bend, but is the inner section iX specific as well?

Thanks.
    Last edited by zedfez; 07-06-2009, 08:06 AM.

best way to answer your question is to go to www.realoem.com and cross reference the part #s.

if the part #s are different, chances are it's ix specific.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah, I looked, but they do not have a separate part number for the inner tie rod section, only for the outer. I assume this is because BMW does not supply just the inner, they expect you to replace the whole rod, but I have seen a few places selling just the inners for regular e30's.

I think I'm just going to suck it up and buy the whole assembly. NAPA sells them for ~$95, and I haven't been able to find a better price than that.

Comment

I was shocked at what a difference it made to do mine-all inner and outer-wish I had done it years ago.

Spend the money, it is SO worth it.

Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
        X