Handling Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handling Question

Im just curious to those of you who have an IX and a rwd model. How do they compare in handling on dry surfaces? Obviously the IX will be better on slippery surfaces, but are they <, >, or = to rwd models in handling as for stock or modified suspension? I know the steering ratio, lock to lock, is higher on an IX.

Thanks,
    Nick

it depends on how it's setup, putting on H&R springs/konis isn't really enough.

stock for stock, the ix is too front heavy and understeers quite a bit. it's also optimized more for straight line traction and braking (low caster, like 1.2 degrees).

pretty sure the steering ratio is the same (4.0 lock to lock). but yes it is slow!

if you can get the weight down, and overcome some of the limitations of the front suspension (camber/caster, suspension travel), the AWD has some nice advantages even on dry pavement - you can (and should) get on the throttle much earlier, for example. But you'd also have to make them equal matches in HP, which is harder because AWD carries a higher drivetrain loss penalty.

things also cost more and there are more parts to break. Although it's generally pretty reliable, it simply costs more to track an ix than a RWD car.

I'm fairly confident that I could match almost any RWD E30 in my car, but getting other E30 guys out to the track around here doesn't seem easy. And all the ones that do come out are usually novices in completely stock cars (which is fantastic, but not much fun for me). Maybe some day I'll get to be on track with cheades and have a nice comparison :)

track video just so you don't think I'm talking out my ass:
    some fun with a couple Skylines (one behind me you can't see) and a yellow Porsche :)
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I am by no means an experienced track driver, but the biggest difference that I noticed between my iX and my e (both stock) was that the iX has very noticeable understeer when entering corners, but you can get back on the power really early. It doesn't provide the same sort of thrill as oversteer, but, for a less experinced driver, I think it actually allows you to corner faster.

Comment

Thank you nando and zedfez for the answers. I've noticed the understeer as I've been driving my IX for nearly a year now, however, it can be pushed damn hard until you get understeer (as also noticed in the video).

Comment

Both are fun in their own way. I'd love to have a quick ix...
          - skipping the E36 generation completely -

Originally posted by Stephen
          Alot of newer cars do nothing for me

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed1299 View Post
            Thank you nando and zedfez for the answers. I've noticed the understeer as I've been driving my IX for nearly a year now, however, it can be pushed damn hard until you get understeer (as also noticed in the video).
            there's no understeer in that video :p

and actually, you don't want to get rid of all of the understeer in the ix. I went down that path, it makes the car too unpredictable.

but, you can eliminate most of it and end up with a pretty neutral car. camber and stiffer suspension helps a lot. Removing weight off the front of the car also makes a big difference.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
            X