What Lowering springs shouls I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Lowering springs shouls I use?

Ok guys I need your help, I bought my '88ix last summer as winter car so not to drive the //M3 in the winter. When I bought the ix the car was slammed with H&R Race, The interior was shot, front axels where shot as well. The boots were cracked and dirt and grimed had gone into the bearings. Needless to say I felt in LOVE with this little ix, so I deceded to bring it back to BMW standards. Now it has a new sport interior, new M-Tech I steering wheel, New front axels, new Kumho ast tires, new OEM BMW head unit radio, new rear and front side markers to replaces the smoked ones it had, new suepension (oe springs w/ bilteins), new blower motor, new moon rooof motor. Next weekend its getting a new (to me) motor from a '91 ix with 108k miles and a new OEM exhaust system also from the '91 donor. That is why I want to get the springs now to do all the work at once.

At time of purchase

little%20one by //M3 Manny, on Flickr

Now (with stock springs and bilsteins shocks it seats to high)

IMG-20110515-00043 by //M3 Manny, on Flickr

I want to lower the car to improve handleling and the only springs that I know that are made for the ix, are the H&R Sport for ix. What do you guys think I should use

Thanks
    Manny Rod
    H&R ix sport
    54.55%
    Eibach
    9.09%
    Ground Control
    27.27%
    Other?
    9.09%

The poll is expired.

//MRod
    E46//M3 Summer fun
    E30ix Winter fun/dd
    E46xi Lil sis
    E39 Mum
    E85 3.0 Dad summer
    B5 typ 8D Avant Winter/dd
    E30 325is -SOLD

IMG00094-20100317-1801 by //M3 Manny, on Flickr

------------------------------------------------------
    E30 318is Totaled (rear ended)
    E30 325is Totaled
    E46 330ci Totaled (while parked)
    Honda CBR 600F4i
    Yamaha YZF 600R

Originally posted by MR88ix View Post
    Ok guys I need your help, I bought my '88ix last summer as winter car so not to drive the //M3 in the winter. When I bought the ix the car was slammed with H&R Race, The interior was shot, front axels where shot as well. The boots were cracked and dirt and grimed had gone into the bearings. Needless to say I felt in LOVE with this little ix, so I deceded to bring it back to BMW standards. Now it has a new sport interior, new M-Tech I steering wheel, New front axels, new Kumho ast tires, new OEM BMW head unit radio, new rear and front side markers to replaces the smoked ones it had, new suepension (oe springs w/ bilteins), new blower motor, new moon rooof motor. Next weekend its getting a new (to me) motor from a '91 ix with 108k miles and a new OEM exhaust system also from the '91 donor. That is why I want to get the springs now to do all the work at once.

At time of purchase

little%20one by //M3 Manny, on Flickr

Now (with stock springs and bilsteins shocks it seats to high)

IMG-20110515-00043 by //M3 Manny, on Flickr

I want to lower the car to improve handleling and the only springs that I know that are made for the ix, are the H&R Sport for ix. What do you guys think I should use

Thanks
    Manny Rod
    I have H&R sports with Konis. Your 1st picture the IX looks awesome, I would go with that set up.

Drive it like you just stole it! :p

Comment

Originally posted by 88e30ix View Post
      I have H&R sports with Konis. Your 1st picture the IX looks awesome, I would go with that set up.

Thanks, but in the 1st pic the car had the H&R race for non ix. The car was slammed it handle better than my M on the corners but the price to pay was front new axels and you know how cheap those are :jk: I think I'm gonna go ahead with H&R sport for ix and Bilsteins H/D
      Thanks man, I thought I was gonna get more help from the forum
      //MRod
      E46//M3 Summer fun
      E30ix Winter fun/dd
      E46xi Lil sis
      E39 Mum
      E85 3.0 Dad summer
      E30 325is -SOLD

E30 325is Totaled
      Honda CBR 600F4i
      Yamaha YZF 600R

Comment

H&R sports is the best option; used KONI sports to complete my set-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Conster View Post
          H&R sports is the best option; used KONI sports to complete my set-up.
          Thanks a lot!!! My new H&R are being delivered tomorrow I Love the way your car looks, so I will ordered the koni sports today! I'm also getting my new to me motor from a 91ix with 108k installed as well :D
          //MRod
          E46//M3 Summer fun
          E30ix Winter fun/dd
          E46xi Lil sis
          E39 Mum
          E85 3.0 Dad summer
          E30 325is -SOLD

E30 325is Totaled
          Honda CBR 600F4i
          Yamaha YZF 600R

Comment

Congrats to your purchase !

Be sure to get the correct rear shocks just to double check; the vendor sent me the wrong rear shocks since he didn't have the updated KONI catalog but he replaced them with the correct rear shocks (80-2522 sport twin-tube hydraulic)
            KONI
            FRONT: 8641-1144 SPORT
            REAR : 80-2522 SPORT

A bigger swaybar will also help; I wanted the Suspension Techniques (not available in my country) and ended up buying the adjustable H&R swaybar (installed using stiffest setting).

iXchange CHAPTER#15 (Koni Shocks/ James Ferguson)

Comment

rear sway bar is same as on non-ix e30?

Comment

Originally posted by 325ixa View Post
                rear sway bar is same as on non-ix e30?
                Yes. If you are referring to the H&R rear swaybar it is the same 18mm adjustable swaybar that will fit all E30s.

The stock iX rear swaybar is the same as the stock E30 M3 14.5mm rear swaybar. The stock E30 325i rear swaybar is 12mm

Comment

Ideally you want a stiffer front sway bar to help with understeer from what I have read, but the only way to get that is from a touring ix or have Korman shorten you existing one.

Comment

thanks for info ;)

one more question, is this what i should buy? it says 50mm lowering, is it too much for a street?

Last edited by 325ixa; 06-13-2011, 03:02 PM.

Comment

vogtlands and billy sports

i ordered drop hats, haven't installed those yet.

these springs are the shit! my buddy has GC's, yeah his sits lower, but mine FEELS better, both our opinions. few people have said that the vogtlands are the best if you daily your car, mild autoX....which i do, couldn't be happier.
                      Attached Files

Comment

thanks for info ;)

one more question, is this what i should buy? it says 50mm lowering, is it too much for a street?

http://cgi.ebay.de/H-R-Sport-Federsa...item1e5e558b78
                        The link says it is for the 325iX but also double check since the H&R part number is 50409; the fronts I got were color GRAY while the rears were color BLUE

FRONT: H&R front spring (gray)

REAR: H&R rear spring(blue) & swaybar, KONI sport adjustables

The lowering is great for both street and track,

1.3inches(front) and 1.2inches rear; the stock shock absorbers isn't tuned for the H&R springs so you need to buy either the KONI or BILSTEIN shocks. No idea about performance in snow since I live in a tropical country.
                        Last edited by Conster; 06-14-2011, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                          Ideally you want a stiffer front sway bar to help with understeer from what I have read, but the only way to get that is from a touring ix or have Korman shorten you existing one.
                          What I did to stiffen the front is to install polyurethane front swaybar bushings. I also think the moderate lowering also added a certain load to our stock front swaybar links. Also added a custom strut bar to protect the chassis

Comment

conster, thank you, that looks nice. 50mm sounds too much. i have offer for a used set h&r springs like yours for 160$, been three monts on the car. ill think about it. thank you once more.

Comment

conster, thank you, that looks nice. 50mm sounds too much. i have offer for a used set h&r springs like yours for 160$, been three monts on the car. ill think about it. thank you once more.
                              No problem 325ixa you are very welcome. R3V helped me lot when tackling problems and tuning my iX also the iX Registry of Mr. Gordon Haines:

Many tips and I find the stories of the iX owners very entertaining.
                              I printed all twenty-eight newsletters and turned it into a book.

Comment

Working...
                              X