Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325iX Steering Rack, Suspension, Oil Pan Job & MORE w/Pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    xi = E46 pos :p
    lol. to each his own I guess...
    My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Well, I can tell you for $1500.00 it was a worth it buy from a retiring nurse, sure it might be a POS, but a lot of the design and placement is similar, plus I get to be a gear head on the days I have off and when my wife let's me, instead of a physician...hahaha...
      This DIY was really a goldmine of information in comparison to the TIS and Bentley stuff I've researched...

Comment

haha, I was just being cheeky!

for $1500, damn, you stole it!

FWIW I know the E46 front driveshaft has flanges on both ends (the E30's has splines on one, and a flange on the other) so it should be simpler to remove, especially if you do it with all 4 wheels off the ground.

it's actually remarkable how similar the E46 and E30 AWD systems are given 15 years of engineering progress!
        Last edited by nando; 07-26-2012, 01:59 PM.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

It was considered about having it "st...e," to across the border to our friends in the south, but I advised him against it...,instead, it's getting a second life with our family now...

Comment

Hey guys. Sorry i revived this old thread. I need some help

I saw you removing the front axles and i need to remove all of the front wheel drive components to fix some stuff.

If i remove my front differential with its attached CV joints, is my car going to leak engine oil through the oil pan? Or it has nothing to do with it?

I do this question because i need to fabricate my front passenger side CV axle and it's the same length as the other one (i've got it). I wanted to do this while i drive the car.

I will not remove the CVs that are attached to the wheel hubs. That would kill my bearings.

Thanks!

Comment

No it's not going to leak engine oil. They have nothing to do with each other.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

No it's not going to leak engine oil. They have nothing to do with each other.
                Thank you nando!

Comment

It's a common misconception. But the oil in the pan and the front drivetrain are completely separate and sealed off from each other.

That BMW still uses the same layout to this day shows it is effective.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

It's a common misconception. But the oil in the pan and the front drivetrain are completely separate and sealed off from each other.

That BMW still uses the same layout to this day shows it is effective.
                    Yep i get it. I was sure they are completely different things but i didn't know if removing the FWD stuff would affect any sealing in the pan

Sure it's effective. It's been used even in Skyline GTRs hahah

Comment

Originally posted by notanawdix80 View Post
                      Hey guys. Sorry i revived this old thread. I need some help

I saw you removing the front axles and i need to remove all of the front wheel drive components to fix some stuff.

If i remove my front differential with its attached CV joints, is my car going to leak engine oil through the oil pan? Or it has nothing to do with it?

I do this question because i need to fabricate my front passenger side CV axle and it's the same length as the other one (i've got it). I wanted to do this while i drive the car.

I will not remove the CVs that are attached to the wheel hubs. That would kill my bearings.

Thanks!
                      Why would removing CVs from the hubs destroy bearings?
                      My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

because the bearing is supported between the end of the CV shaft and the hub nut. That's why the torque is so high - it's not because your wheel will fall off. :p
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Oh! I missed the part about him driving the car with some of the front drivetrain out...
                          My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

Do I need to remove the front axle to get the engine out the top? I can't find a write up about removing the motor from a ix anywhere. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X