How to test TC in non-running ix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to test TC in non-running ix?

Is there a good positive way to determine whether a TC is in working order in a non-running ix? Picking up a parts car in a couple of days but only if I can verify condition of the TC. Any and all help would be appreciated.

TIA

Is this valid:

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    with your front driveshaft out, just try to drive the car normally without jacking up anything. if it goes forward under its own power, your viscous coupling in the transfer case is good.

instead of doing the jack test you can just jack one front wheel off the ground and try to spin it(with the front drive shaft installed) if you can spin this one lone suspended wheel without a hell of a lot of effort, your vc is bad. this is all you really need to do to test your transfer case. the jack test is actually unnecessary.

Comment

yes both good tests ,though the one wheel off the ground test is hard to determine as you are still spinning a lot of the drivetrain with a lot of drag. basically you should not be able to turn that wheel even with a torque wrench applied to one of the lug nuts without a lot of force

the front shaft out or jack test are your best test method, and here again the front shaft out will not determine how strong the VC is just that it will move so does lock to some extent
      Angus
      88 E30M3 X2
      89 325IX
      92 R100GS/PD
      :)

Comment

But if the car isn't running the jack test won't work? The only way would be to try jacking up one front wheel and spinning it right?

Bahama Beige E23 Project
        Bluebird Bus Conversion
        New Oregon Trail

Comment

Park on a slope in gear. if the car rolls slowly, tcase is toast. If it stays, its ok. I think.

Comment

"Park on a slope in gear. if the car rolls slowly, tcase is toast" you mean jacked up?

this might work on the jack test ,but not sure there will be enough inertia for a reliable test .

"But if the car isn't running the jack test won't work? The only way would be to try jacking up one front wheel and spinning it right? "

true ,but its definately not the best test due to residual resistance in the entire system ,how does one know what is good VC resistance and what is system drag????

best test on a non-running is to lock one output flange and try to turn the other at the case itself...preferably with at least on shaft disconnected then you know for sure its all the VC affecting locking
            Angus
            88 E30M3 X2
            89 325IX
            92 R100GS/PD

Comment

Originally posted by canadiankid View Post
              Park on a slope in gear. if the car rolls slowly, tcase is toast. If it stays, its ok. I think.
              no, that is not how it works.

you'd have to have the rear off the ground and the parking brake on. but then it's basically the same thing as a jack test, only a lot more dangerous.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

For the jacking up the single front wheel test, if it has play, but only a few inches of actual spinning and then firms up, is it the tc or something else? In other words how much spinning play are we looking for?

Comment

couple inches of movement at the outer circumference of the tire sounds normal as that will be all the slack in the system (ie movement in axle,driveshaft spline and chain slop in t-case ) ,important part is that it does lock up
                  Angus
                  88 E30M3 X2
                  89 325IX
                  92 R100GS/PD

Comment

That was my original thought as well, but reading this thread had me worried. I had the T case rebuilt about 2 years ago and would be taking it back if it had gone already in under 10k. Thanks

Comment

Bump from a over a year ago.. I read through all the posts but never saw a definitive answer on how to test a non running iX's TC.. thanks
                      1988 BMW 325iS

Comment

best test on a non-running is to lock one "output" flange and try to turn the other "output at the case itself...preferably with at least one shaft disconnected then you know for sure its all the VC affecting locking.
                        Angus
                        88 E30M3 X2
                        89 325IX
                        92 R100GS/PD

Comment

Awesome thanks.. do you have a suggestion on the best way to lock one output flange? My only concern is I dont know if this would be very easy to do while looking at the car before I purchase it.
                          1988 BMW 325iS

Comment

well i've never done it myself but prolly easiest wound be to stick a screwdriver thru the rearmost U-joint on the rear driveshaft till it stop against body and then use a strap wrench or large channel locks on front shaft not pretty but will work i think.
                            Angus
                            88 E30M3 X2
                            89 325IX
                            92 R100GS/PD

Comment

You could drain the ATF, and if it is filled with black gunk chances are its bad, I drained a good one, and a blown one the good one was cherry red, and the bad one was tainted with viscous fluid, once again not definitive at all, but can give you an idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X