Axle boots tore prematurely? I replaced both inner/outer boots last summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30andy View Post

I’m doing this job now and as long as the car has not been neglected and isn’t rusty everything should come apart easily enough. If the axle is stuck in the hub or front diff you can get into trouble. The circlip can be tricky but other than that it’s a straightforward job that will need to be done multiple times over the life of any ix. I say go for it! If you screw something up you can always find a used ix axle on this forum.
    Honestly, I'm trying to limit my investment in the car. I've come to the conclusion over the last few days that I'm going to make sure it's roadworthy and as clean as I can reasonably make it, but with a spawn in college and two more right behind that one, household expenses and some other things going on (not to even mention the cost of two more drivers soon and the lovely insurance they bring along with that), I just can't keep the car. I'd definitely like to do the boots, but replacing the axles isn't something I love the idea of if they're "real" $$. The underside has some spots of rust that came from my family member doing stupid stuff, but overall it's not rusty. I hope that means the axles wouldn't be bad... The ideal eventual home for this car is someone who can wrench on it and do the kind of wrenching and prep work that will make it a fully decent car again.

We smoothed out the rust on the piston and the interior of the caliper for the one that was stuck, but I just ordered a set of reman calipers for the rear. I'm sure they'll be fine to get home, but I don't want to have (or pass along) a car with suspect brakes. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to get them in - I'm going to be traveling most of this coming week, and my next several weekends might also be spent out of town.

1985 E30 S52 - Daily Driver
    1986 M635Csi - For the best days

Comment

Originally posted by iXBeater View Post

Honestly, I'm trying to limit my investment in the car. I've come to the conclusion over the last few days that I'm going to make sure it's roadworthy and as clean as I can reasonably make it, but with a spawn in college and two more right behind that one, household expenses and some other things going on (not to even mention the cost of two more drivers soon and the lovely insurance they bring along with that), I just can't keep the car. I'd definitely like to do the boots, but replacing the axles isn't something I love the idea of if they're "real" $$. The underside has some spots of rust that came from my family member doing stupid stuff, but overall it's not rusty. I hope that means the axles wouldn't be bad... The ideal eventual home for this car is someone who can wrench on it and do the kind of wrenching and prep work that will make it a fully decent car again.

We smoothed out the rust on the piston and the interior of the caliper for the one that was stuck, but I just ordered a set of reman calipers for the rear. I'm sure they'll be fine to get home, but I don't want to have (or pass along) a car with suspect brakes. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to get them in - I'm going to be traveling most of this coming week, and my next several weekends might also be spent out of town.
      I hear you! These cars are old and need lots of work/maintenance. Still cheaper (and more fun INMHO) than a new car payment, but if you don’t have the time to work on it then bad (and expensive) stuff eventually happens if they are neglected.

The CV reboot is cheap to do, and a used axle can be had for fairly cheap, but if you are going to sell the ix it’s not unreasonable to let the next owner deal with it.
      89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
      1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

I hear you! These cars are old and need lots of work/maintenance. Still cheaper (and more fun INMHO) than a new car payment, but if you don’t have the time to work on it then bad (and expensive) stuff eventually happens if they are neglected.
        I have an M635 that occupies most of my free time in the garage, and while I don't mind a hiatus to focus on this car, I can't do it for lots of time unless I turn this into a daily. Unfortunately there's too much required to get it there for me, and my Mini Clubman daily is E30-ish enough that I get my fun factor in. I have distant thoughts about putting one of my teenagers in it, but I'm not sure a stick-shift is a good idea in this distracted world as a first-car.

The CV reboot is cheap to do, and a used axle can be had for fairly cheap, but if you are going to sell the ix it’s not unreasonable to let the next owner deal with it.
        Like I said - I'm on the fence here. I think the right buyer for this car is wrenchy anyway, so I'll be happy to pass it along to that kind of person. The E39 528iT/5spd that replaced this car as my daily was eventually sold to exactly that kind of guy. In retrospect I wish I'd kept that car. It needed a lot of stuff when I sold it (to a guy who was thrilled with it), but it was mainly stuff I'm now able to do myself. That was a great car too - drove that one all the way back to NC from Oregon (literally touched the Pacific and drove to the Atlantic ;) )

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
          I am doing my set today or tomorrow, might just do a write up.
          Greetings - did you get yours done? Thoughts/tips/writeup? :)

Comment

Does anyone know of a better universal kit that will fit the iX front driveshafts? i just had to replace mine, after having them replaced last year, one was torn, the rest are cracking already! i dont understand!!

Comment

Working...
            X