Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragging noise under acceleration

Hey guys,

Really need some help from some ix gurus. Spent last weekend getting my ix ready for winter. Dropped my driveshaft and lubed it with moly grease( was dry by the way). The splines on the shaft and the t-case looked good compared to what I've seen. Also checked my ATF fluid in the case and it was full but topped it off. Drove the car about 100 miles and now started to get dragging noise just below the shifter.

I decided to drain my t-case and replace the oil. It was a bit dark but no bubbles or silicone like goo, few small shavings on the plug. Dropped the car and still the noise. Decided to do a jack test and it passed. So I then dropped the front shaft and drove it, the noise was still there...

Can anyone give me some insight? Could the chain in my VC be stretched now? It seems like the po might have overfilled the T-case last year. Weird thing is the sound changes when I pull on the Ebrake but its def coming from under the shifter. Sounds like something is hung up but I can't find it.

Gunna have my front and rear diffs topped off as well as my tranny. Real busy with work and its my only car. E36 is two hours away in storage. Maybe some ideas I can give a shop? I'm nervous bringing it somewhere since I never trust shops. Thanks
    1989 325ix
    1992 325ic 770A
    2002 M3

overfilling the tc shouldn't have any adverse effects if the PO did that. THere is the breather valve on the top of tc, that allows any overfilled fluid to seap out, and bring it back to level in the event it was overfilled.

Sounds like you're diagnosing it properly. Have you checked the shifter linkages?
    www.instagram.com/snwmble
    #snwmble

Current:
    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Actually my shifter is super sloppy it needs new bushings for sure was on my list. Could the linkage be hitting the driveshaft and still shift the transmission?
      1989 325ix
      1992 325ic 770A
      2002 M3

Comment

Anyone have any inputs about the shift linkage. I don't really know what it could be hitting since the driveshaft seems to be out of the way on the ix. Noise definitely seems to be coming from there.
        1989 325ix
        1992 325ic 770A
        2002 M3

Comment

take a good look at your TC support bushing. When they start to go, the trans/tc assembly can push to one side under load and the rear output guibo from the TC can hit the tunnel or a heatshield.

on acceleration it will sound like something big is dragging under the car. Give it enough time like that and the guibo will die and the whole drivetrain will flop around and sound like you're driving over a pile of boulders. then car no go.
          Its a possibility. take a look.
          88 325 IX DiamantSchwarz - TOURING - waiting...
          89 325 IX AlpinWeiß - Gone
          88 325 IX DiamantSchwarz - Parted
          89 325 IX RoyalBlau - Parted
          88 325 IX RoyalBlau - Gone
          88 325 IX DiamantSchwarz - Parted

Comment

Originally posted by supernaughtIX View Post
            take a good look at your TC support bushing. When they start to go, the trans/tc assembly can push to one side under load and the rear output guibo from the TC can hit the tunnel or a heatshield.

on acceleration it will sound like something big is dragging under the car. Give it enough time like that and the guibo will die and the whole drivetrain will flop around and sound like you're driving over a pile of boulders. then car no go.
            Its a possibility. take a look.

bingo this happened to me! It was a square rubber bushing in my case. The rubber separated from the metal plate that supports it, and it was hitting in the tunnel of the floor. Felt it on occasion initially, then it progressively got worse.
            www.instagram.com/snwmble
            #snwmble

Current:
            '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
            '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
            '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
            '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
            '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
            '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
            '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
            '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Thanks for the advice, still trying to get it on a lift. Nobody in this damn city but a sketch will even look at my car. I'm just glad it's not my drivetrain which was what I initially thought. Ill keep this thread updated.
              1989 325ix
              1992 325ic 770A
              2002 M3

Comment

Update:

After being test driven by a cool guy with a lift, we both suspected wheel bearing. Pitch changed when making turns. I order my parts have him do the install since I'm busy with work. Before dropping it off though I mention the noise changes a bit with my Ebrake up. He pops the rotor and the damn nut holding the assembly in place fell off. It was lodged in there rubbing on the shoes.

New nut and bolt and voila the terrible noise is gone. Idk how that noise which def sounded like the front wheel was actually the Ebrake. Oh we'll guess it's better to be paranoid about your driveline when you have an ix. Now I can fix my damn brakes and tie rods before snow hits! Thanks for the help guys
                1989 325ix
                1992 325ic 770A
                2002 M3

Comment

Good news. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

nice. replacing the wheel bearings is a good thing anyway, but glad it was a simple fix.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

No problem.

Yeah wheel bearings are a good idea. Ended up finding out that both spindles and most likely wheel bearings had been replaced by the p.o
                      1989 325ix
                      1992 325ic 770A
                      2002 M3

Comment

Working...
                      X