Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Q: iX Front axles vs Rear time to repair

I almost fit the question in the title.

I'm trying to figure out if I should volunteer to help a buddy replace the boots on his front axles. I've done the rear axles on my 325i, which required a 3 prong puller and a BFH. But the job was easy to do in a day, and there was no question at the end of it whether it had been done right.

How does the iX compare to the rear? Exact same procedure? Lots of "gotchas" ? What I'm actually looking for is for someone to say "It'll take you 50% more time to do the fronts" or something of that nature.

Thanks guys!
    -------------------------------------------------
    1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
    2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

It takes a 1/3 more time and depends on the condition of the surrounding parts.

To remove the front axles you have to disconnect the control arm and tie rod from the the strut to get the axle out of the hub. (usually a simple job unless said parts are rusted or are otherwise compromised)

The axle should slide out of the hub (or can be gently tapped out) however if there is rust, may god and a big hammer be with you.

This job (should you choose to accept it) should be done once! So do both inside and outside boots.
    [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

Originally posted by z122643 View Post
      It takes a 1/3 more time and depends on the condition of the surrounding parts.

To remove the front axles you have to disconnect the control arm and tie rod from the the strut to get the axle out of the hub. (usually a simple job unless said parts are rusted or are otherwise compromised)

The axle should slide out of the hub (or can be gently tapped out) however if there is rust, may god and a big hammer be with you.

This job (should you choose to accept it) should be done once! So do both inside and outside boots.
      Thanks for the reply! The Control Arms were just installed this summer, so they shouldn't be too bad to disconnect. Heaven only knows how stuck it is in the hub though.

Is there anything about the procedure, besides raising the car, that would make doing both sides at once easier than doing them on say two different weekends?
      -------------------------------------------------
      1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
      2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

I did both my fronts on my ix. The passenger side took me all day because everything was seized together. Getting the snap ring out of the cv joint was the hardest part and my cv was stuck on the axle and it took a lot of beating to get them separated. Then when i did my driver side it only took like an hour maybe 2.

I've yet to do the rears of my ix so i can't help you there but i wouldn't think they could be that hard.

Good luck :)
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Where did you find the fronts??

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
          I did both my fronts on my ix. The passenger side took me all day because everything was seized together. Getting the snap ring out of the cv joint was the hardest part and my cv was stuck on the axle and it took a lot of beating to get them separated. Then when i did my driver side it only took like an hour maybe 2.

I've yet to do the rears of my ix so i can't help you there but i wouldn't think they could be that hard.

Good luck :)

Comment

Let me know if you want a hand. I've done them on my iX. Easy enough, but if you have someone that's done it before it speeds it up A TON. If you have everything you need, I don't see why you couldn't get started at 8am and be done by dinnertime if you worked fast.
            clutchCTRL!
            Move with a purpose.
            - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
            - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
            - 2000 323i AT
            2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

The clip to separate the front CV spreads OUT. The first time I did this, I was trying to pinch it together.... Once learned the fronts seemed easier to me than the rears.

edit: found the link i had saved with decent pictures
              Here
              Last edited by moto650; 03-06-2013, 11:35 AM. Reason: additional info
              88 325ix, 72 Type 1, 81 Starlet

Comment

Working...
              X