No announcement yet.

New set has arrived! Front shaft uppgrade *Finland-Fix*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this is where we should make the cut? On the drive shaft only of course.

Comment

Yes, cut right behind the weld.
      Suspension tips here...
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Thanks! just wanted to be sure!

Comment

Other question...How difficult is removing the transfer case? Anyone have any methods that make it easier? I'm going to be doing this in December here in Canada...
          Last edited by Wille30; 12-11-2014, 12:40 PM. Reason: Figured it out...I think.

Comment

Also found on Facebook - Juuso Tero, Tampere
            https://www.facebook.com/JuusosGarage

Comment

Originally posted by Wille30 View Post

So this is where we should make the cut? On the drive shaft only of course.
              Line those O-ring grooves to same. welding comes nice together if you make V-groove for the weld.

Comment

BTW dont throw the output gear with worn splines into trash.. just machine the stock touching area off and use this uppgrade. This uppgrade still remains ~33mm of touching. Going to show in pics to you what I mean in couple days.

Comment

FWIW, just completed this upgrade. Jute91's replacement part had to be turned down a bit. Was used in a 1990 auto IX that was swapped to manual.

BTW, despite coming from the other side of the planet, it arrived lightning fast after payment was sent.

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  it's the same shaft between auto/manual. my car was originally an automatic. I have heard there are two sizes but I'm pretty sure that's early/late, and they are interchangeable anyway. I've had like 5 different shafts and I've never seen the different one.

they aren't, but it's not clear exactly what models came with the thicker shaft. it could just be the manufacturer changed at some point or they used a different material that didn't need as much wall thickness.

Comment

Yes the difference is that I made mine for the 30mm pipe. so the dimension should be around 30,03mm /1,182".
                    The smaller one has dimension of 26,924/ 1,06"

But thank god it's easier to remove the material than add on it :D

Comment

Front shaft uppgrade FOR SALE!

Question for all following this thread. When considering the upgrade, I also want to easily remove/install the front driveshaft. I saw the other joint in previous posts, but it was mentioned that it was too big and would hit the trans.

Would something similar to this be able to handle the amount of torque on the shaft?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Front shaft uppgrade FOR SALE!

Also I don't think it's the right diameters, I was thinking the joint type. Or give some ideas to something like a cardian joint.
                        I really do not want to drop the transfer case or trans fill tube( auto) to swap, regrease, inspect, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dinan3 View Post
                          Question for all following this thread. When considering the upgrade, I also want to easily remove/install the front driveshaft. I saw the other joint in previous posts, but it was mentioned that it was too big and would hit the trans.

Would something similar to this be able to handle the amount of torque on the shaft?

The problem with the extra flange joint is the location. But sure there is space near the transfer case.
                          Attached Files

Comment

neat part but I don't think that would work well in a twisting situation. you'd want to make something more like a regular driveshaft flange.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The flange I showed earlier in this thread would be fine with a manual transmission. It only lacks clearance to the automatic.

It may require a little shaping to clear the transmission tunnel.

That fitting is an interesting find... I'll look into that. I'd seen them used before in bolt-in roll cage fabrication, but hadn't though about how much torque they can handle.
                              Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 01-27-2015, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                                neat part but I don't think that would work well in a twisting situation. you'd want to make something more like a regular driveshaft flange.
                                The bolts end up loaded directly in tension... it might actually be quite strong, as long as the bolts are torqued properly, which can be hit or miss with socket caps.

Comment

Working...
                                X