Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BikeBuddha View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm new here to the forum and a new IX owner as well. I have a 1989 ix w/ 100k miles and the front driveshaft is worn. I'm interested in the extender here, which is now on eBay, but I'm wondering (as a novice mechanic) whether I will have to replace the transfer case as well given that the driveshaft is worn, or whether this longer driveshaft will catch enough of the transfer case teeth to avoid having to buy a new one (at least for now). Any advice or thoughts we be appreciated. Thanks.

Are the splines in the transfer case stripped? I feel like the splines in the transfer case would be made of a harder material than the splines in the drive shaft, cheaper to replace the shaft than the transfer case. But I could be wrong. Regardless if you get the extended splines I believe in increases the touching area from 18mm to 50mm so if the splines in your T-case are stripped you would still have 32mm of touching area left. Probably cheaper and easier to shim the drive shaft for now and get the upgrade than replace the T-case. Not sure what T-cases are going going for.
    Last edited by TehRaydarlover; 09-16-2013, 07:57 PM.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
    Rear Diff Rebuild
    Rebuildable Viscous Coupling
    Transfer Case Rebuild
    "Life is simpler with 12 valves"

Comment

Yes, the splines in the T-Case are worn a bit as well, unfortunately, but only up to the point that the driveshaft extends into the case. My thought was that the extra bite on the extension would compensate for the worn bits, but I'm not sure...

Comment

that would work well i guess..
        Also found on Facebook - Juuso Tero, Tampere
        https://www.facebook.com/JuusosGarage

Comment

Could you please PM me details about buying one?
          Interested.
          Thanks!
          The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Finally got around to working on Juuso's spline upgrade.
            Sand blasted the stripped drive shaft I got from audiquattrot, thanks again! Comparing the new head with the old shaft the weld should be in the same spot as the original. That being said make sure you cut the head off after the weld otherwise you will be left with a lip on the inside from the original weld and you'll be stuck filling it off. I used a press to get it on all the way.

Just need to weld it and get it painted and it should be ready to go! Nice work Juuso!:D
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Build Thread
            Rear Diff Rebuild
            Rebuildable Viscous Coupling
            Transfer Case Rebuild
            "Life is simpler with 12 valves"

Comment

Thanks. And also thank you for good explaining and pics

Comment

shaft upgrade

I got my shaft welded up and installed . I've dropped the engine/trans setup out the bottom. Rebuilt transfer case ,rebuilt rear d/shaft,upgraded front d/shaft, sand blasted both front struts ,treated with POR 15 ,new tie rods . Rebuilt cyl head with new cam,rockers/shafts and valve job. Installed new AC condenser/dryer and freeze 12 service,new fan clutch and new aux fan. New rubber brake lines all around wth new rotors/pads. And finish up with major service with all oil seals and syn fluids as needed. Joe
                Last edited by Bmjpv; 12-14-2013, 07:29 AM.

Comment

still have some for sale?

nvm - I see them on ebay
                  Last edited by nando; 12-14-2013, 02:29 PM.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

hah - yes I still have them :) and they can be found from ebay

-juuso

Comment

Yeah, now that i see how they are made,i want two. Haha.

I thought there would be a problem with the thicker x5 flex disc, but then i realized you could just cut the shaft shorter.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

$190.00 argh.....
                        [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Comment

That's cheap, when you consider what metal it is used and you think this, where it will be used and what it is meant to be, there may be value for money
                          https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                          https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            Yeah, now that i see how they are made,i want two. Haha.

I thought there would be a problem with the thicker x5 flex disc, but then i realized you could just cut the shaft shorter.
                            That's correct ;)

Comment

Originally posted by TehRaydarlover View Post
                              Finally got around to working on Juuso's spline upgrade.
                              Sand blasted the stripped drive shaft I got from audiquattrot, thanks again! Comparing the new head with the old shaft the weld should be in the same spot as the original. That being said make sure you cut the head off after the weld otherwise you will be left with a lip on the inside from the original weld and you'll be stuck filling it off. I used a press to get it on all the way.
                              no prob buddy ;) Awesome work on fitting it!

and damn now looking at the comparisons you posted, i like the way these shaft inserts are made! good job jute, I have a spare stripped shaft myself, and might do this down the road to have as a spare.
                              www.instagram.com/snwmble
                              #snwmble

Current:
                              '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                              '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                              '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                              '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                              '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                              '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                              '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                              '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

any left? If so, I want one! Let me know haw to get you paid-- Thanks, Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X