Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lets get some iX mudflaps made. Who can help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 6A LDY View Post
    I think that there's a couple other options to consider...

I think you could make flaps out of a different material like fiberglass, that look and fit the exact same as the originals, but may not be as functional. They might crack or get chipped, but it would be easy to make a lot of sets.

Alternatively, and much simpler, you could take something like rally armor mud flaps and create brackets that fit and secure it, and design a template to trim the flaps around to make it look somewhat similar to the oem flaps. you could visually tell the difference but they would work.

I might personally go with the latter route and use the rally armor flaps and make some aluminum brackets, I would be interested to know what other people think, because it doesn't seem like injection molded flaps are going to be possible
    Just like before, I think overall interest will depend on price point. I like the idea and it looks as though the $250ish price range is a more reasonable alternative from everyone's feedback.

Comment

Looking more into it, I think that the best bet would be 2-3 layers of chopped strand fiberglass, to keep some flexibility and have the strength be built by the shape of the part, with a vinyl ester resin, and finally coat it with a rubber coating spray.

Now all we need is someone who is familiar with fiberglass to build a mold and spend all day making these pups
      1988 325iX - sold but not forgotten
      1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

3800 for the mold? for 4 pieces of rubber? its a joke, right? we are talking about mud flaps not cylinder head.

Comment

Injection molds are always really expensive, for a larger production part they can cost in the 10s of thousands of dollars
          1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

Looking more into it, I think that the best bet would be 2-3 layers of chopped strand fiberglass, to keep some flexibility and have the strength be built by the shape of the part, with a vinyl ester resin, and finally coat it with a rubber coating spray.

Now all we need is someone who is familiar with fiberglass to build a mold and spend all day making these pups
            meh. I'd rather not bother.

Unfortunately I'm not surprised at the cost. I knew the mold would be expensive. it's actually cheaper than I imagined. but at that price, you can still find a stock set if you keep your eye out.

too bad..
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

i anyone willing to check how much would 3d scanning cost?

Comment

Originally posted by 325ixa View Post
                3800 for the mold? for 4 pieces of rubber? its a joke, right? we are talking about mud flaps not cylinder head.
                no....not 4 pieces of rubber. only 2. the rears are common to a 2wd car, are still available from bmw for around 70.00/pr.

fiberglass mud flaps would be something i would not have any interest in. i don't think they would hold up for the long run. the first time you hit something it will either break off or pull the bolt holes through.

i anyone willing to check how much would 3d scanning cost?
                just doing a tiny bit of research, it sounds like the cost is between 100-200 bucks.

i would go a step further and ask if there is a flexible material for 3d printers?

edit: and the answer to this question is yes.

Learn everything about 3D printing in Fine Detail Plastic: tips, design rules, technical documentation, and product examples and inspiration.

this is how mud flaps are going to get made at an economical price. not by injection molding or fiberglass or any other traditional method.

ya know...i am going to start looking into this if i can sell a pair for less than 175.00 and still make a little bit to cover my troubles.

i know everyone and their brother asks the community to borrow a set of flaps, but i am going to need a set too.....paging alaska ted....???
                Last edited by flyboyx; 09-27-2015, 10:44 AM.
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Thats a pretty interesting idea to use a 3d printer, a 3d printed part will (almost) never be stronger than an injection molded part, but I think it should be strong enough. You'll need to figure out how to print it as well (lateral vs vertical). My only concern with a 3d printed part is if it becomes brittle in the cold, the layers would be much more likely to snap apart or split.

I think this could be the answer though and I hope it works!
                  1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

Thats a pretty interesting idea to use a 3d printer, a 3d printed part will (almost) never be stronger than an injection molded part, but I think it should be strong enough. You'll need to figure out how to print it as well (lateral vs vertical). My only concern with a 3d printed part is if it becomes brittle in the cold, the layers would be much more likely to snap apart or split.

I think this could be the answer though and I hope it works!
                    ill get a 3d file made and send it out somewhere for manufacturing. there are people that know a hell of a lot more about this stuff than i do which is nothing.

the cold weather issue is a good point. that would be a question i will be sure to ask.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

3800 for the mold? its a joke, right? we are talking about mud flaps not cylinder head.
                      Better get schooled on production tools and costs. Sounds about right.

Comment

i was just checking realoem. it appears that you can still buy the fronts for a coupe/sedan and the rears for late models. this item is really hard to find on their web site. i am going to put the part number here so you guys can look them up and also, so i will have access to it easily when i go to look for it again.

late model rear 72609401168
                        early model rear 72601906956 nla
                        coupe/sedan front 72601906952
                        cabrio front 72601953292 nla
                        cabrio rear early 72601953291 nla (different than early coupe/sedan?)
                        cabrio late rear 72609401168 same as above
                        ix front 72601968441 obviously nla
                        ix rear early 72601968439 nla (different than early coupe/sedan?)

i actually have a set of cabrio front mud flaps that are nla. (i also have a set of pre facelift rears that i don't think are made anymore either.) i don't know if there is much market for flaps on a convertible, but i guess its another possibility.

if i can't get my hands on a set of ix flaps right away, perhaps i could even start with those first to get an idea on price and quality. they have a pretty good sized metal bracket/reinforcement that will need to be fabricated too.
                        Last edited by flyboyx; 09-27-2015, 11:47 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

I think that bracket could be made out of 1/8" aluminum and be strong enough. It shouldnt be too hard to make, I might try to make one up later this week. I might try out the rally armor basic flaps. $20 isnt too bad to test out
                          1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbimmer View Post
                            Better get schooled on production tools and costs. Sounds about right.
                            for making a new product, prototype, with some try and fail, and everything that goes with that, yes, that could be a price. This is pirating, copying...

Comment

This is pirating, copying...
                              it isn't an issue if the company decided on its own not to produce the part anymore.

have you ever looked at a restoration catalog for an old mustang or camaro? they are full of reproduced parts. they fulfill a need the manufacturer no longer is willing to supply.

i believe this becomes a moral issue if, for example, a company like alpina offers a b6 3.5 intake manifold for around $4,000, but someone decided to reproduce it and offer to the public for say 800.00.....
                              sigpic
                              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

for making a new product, prototype, with some try and fail, and everything that goes with that, yes, that could be a price. This is pirating, copying...
                                then why dont you go out and find a cheaper price. Since we already have the part it shouldnt be a problem for you right?

There are still a lot of problems to work out, injection speed, barrel temperatures, mold temperatures, polymer choice, # of injection sites, orientation of injection sites, cooling time

Each part is different and doesnt come with a manual on how to make it. Each half of the steel mold alone is at least 1.5ft wide x 2ft high and probably close to 3 or 4 inches thick. Thats a lot of metal to work with and keep the surface defect free
                                1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

Working...
                                X