Replacing Seal in Transfer Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Seal in Transfer Case

Is it possible to replace the three main seals in the transfer case without opening the case up?
    [/SIGPIC]"we are so totally screwed!"

Originally posted by z122643 View Post
    Is it possible to replace the three main seals in the transfer case without opening the case up?
    might need to know if auto or manual

the outputs i know you can (there are two on the front output shaft ,face to face ) and i did these and the rear output shaft seal in the car . the input shaft i don't know (can look at my spare manual T-case),and the factory manual
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

it's a manual. Can the front input shaft be removed without tearing the whole xcase apart?

Comment

Originally posted by z122643 View Post
        it's a manual. Can the front input shaft be removed without tearing the whole xcase apart?
        just looking at factory service manual and no the manual trans input shaft is held in with a circlip on inside and is about the last thing removed during disassembly of the entire T-case . once out, the seal is driven into place from outside the case as opposed to the auto where two seals are driven in from inside the case but in both instances input shaft has to be out already.

so no you cant do all three seals without disassembling the entire T-case
        Last edited by spdracrm3; 04-08-2013, 05:07 PM.
        Angus
        88 E30M3 X2
        89 325IX
        92 R100GS/PD

Comment

I have posted up transfer case rebuild DIY to this part of forum.. i'd say that you need to tear it apart, because input shaft is locked to case with lock ring, or what is it called on english.. rear output seal is possible to change
          but front output needs removing of gear of the case..

Also found on Facebook - Juuso Tero, Tampere
          https://www.facebook.com/JuusosGarage

Comment

is there enough room to drive a 2nd seal in overtop of the old one? sometimes that works if the depth of material where the seal goes is great enough.

is the seal leaking? when it comes to the t-case - if it isn't broken, don't fix it...
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              is there enough room to drive a 2nd seal in overtop of the old one? sometimes that works if the depth of material where the seal goes is great enough.

is the seal leaking? when it comes to the t-case - if it isn't broken, don't fix it...

I wish I really knew. The transmission leaked so much that it covered everything. I have no way of really knowing if the xcase is leaking or just has trans leakage all over it.

Having said that I still believe that it is leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                you cant get another seal over the flange for the guibo to put another in if your referring to the input seal on a manual .
                Angus
                88 E30M3 X2
                89 325IX
                92 R100GS/PD

Comment

Working...
                X